• This topic has 22 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Tim.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Need advice on cutting fork steerer tube
  • Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Hey,

I will be needing to cut my fork steerer very soon and wondered if you guys can offer some advice please 😀

I have seen this on CRC: Saw Guide and from the reviews it looks ok, but what saw or type of saw would do the best job?

Also, is it really that easy, put guide on steerer, cut and done? Will I need anything else or to be aware of anything else?

Cheers

soma_rich
    Free Member

if it an alloy steerer use a plumbers pipe cutter. I used it on a steel one as well 🙂

iain1775
    Free Member

normal hacksaw
    don't need to buy a guide, just wrap some insulation tape around
    deffo dont need to spend £18 on a guide, prob get similar for fraction of price at a DIY shop

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sadexpunk

ive done it before with no guide. just a bit of masking tape, mark all the way round and then hacksaw.

doesnt need to be cock on, as theres nowt butting up to it. just as long as top of steerer is about 1/8th of an inch below stem then you be fine 🙂

big_scot_nanny

I think that is pretty much it. I just marked a line, held it steaady and hacked away with a hacksaw. Not the straightest line, but it doesn't have to be, did the job nicely. Then jsut banged in the SFN with a srewdriver through teh centre hole and bob's your uncle. I am a complete dunce with this stuff also, so it really ain't too hard.

Only other advice:

Measure twice – cut once

Measure twice – cut once

Measure twice – cut once

Measure twice – cut once

Measure twice – cut once

🙂

Kev

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yep – pipe cutter, cheap and effective

brassneck

Measure twice, cut once 😉

I would tidy up the burrs with a file myself too, but hats about it.

Only ever used a pipe cutter myself. Can you still get steel steerers on after market forks?

uplink
    Free Member

Doesn't have to be dead straight remember – it doesn't but up against anything

Put the forks in the bike with all the spacers & stem etc
    Mark it at the top of the stem & then cut it a few mill below that mark

Lactic
    Free Member

I bought that saw guide after a few skewiff efforts and it's great. Any hacksaw will do the job but you'll need a file to smooth the cut end afterwards. Don't forget to measure twice either. ….

Edit. Far too slow, curse my one finger tpynig

Jamie
    Free Member

I got my LBS to do it for naff all as they were fitting a headset as well.

nuke

Bit of paper wrapped around then taped in place, hacksaw and then smoothed with file is my preferred method.

Protection around your stanchions is a good idea having learnt that mistake the hard way 😳

rootes1

plumbing pipe cutter..

or use a hacksaw, place a jubilee clip/hose clip around the steerer makes a good guide for a nice square cut

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I just mark all the way round and cut with a hacksaw.

If you've a steady hand, some patience and a blade with a high tpi you won't get a wonky cut or need to file it down afterwards.

Tim
    Free Member

pipe cutters are awesome 🙂

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Wow, thanks for all the quick responces guys 😀

Jamie, the LBS was going to do it when they fit the headset for me too but as its a new build and I'm not sure on the final height I thought I'd give it a go once I know.

The perfectionist in me is still thinking guide, but I will think about all your comments before I do start cutting.

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

I use a pipe cutter like this one!
    Much neater and easier job than using a hacksaw. Got mine from a local hardware store for a few quid.

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

Little tip, use a few extra headset spacers than you need. That way you can always play about with the height. Once the height feels right, do the final cut. (I keep one 10mm spacer on top of the stem).

Rickos
    Free Member

As nuke says, make sure you don't get any of the metal sawdust/filings in the wiper seals of the forks.

Leku
    Free Member

I clamp the stem onto the steerer and slid 2 headset spacers down. Lining up where you want to cut with between the spacers. Cut with hacksaw with blade running between the 2 spacers. Clean level cut every-time and using bits you already have.

johni
    Free Member

Pipe cutter for me too. Far easier than anything else.

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Good shout on covering the seals and stantions, I may have missed that trick otherwise! 😀

I'll take a look at those plumbers pipe cutters, seem cheap for what they are?

jond
    Free Member

>Protection around your stanchions is a good idea having learnt that mistake the hard way

Indeed – I was building up a frameset some years ago, the disk caliper (held on by one bolt) dropped off the bolt, swung down and chipped the stanchion 🙁

Tim
    Free Member

Danger Mouse – Member

Good shout on covering the seals and stantions, I may have missed that trick otherwise!

I'll take a look at those plumbers pipe cutters, seem cheap for what they are?

yep – just check it goes large enough – most go up to 30mm which is sufficient for standard steerers

you may have to file the edge a little as sometimes the resultant edge has a little lip. They usually come with a fole out bit for filing the inside of tubes, but not the outside

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Need advice on cutting fork steerer tube’ is closed to new replies.