Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Need advice: Mobile 3G data speed 0.2mps throttling when I hardly use it.
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

My mobile provider is throttling my phone 3G from 2.5 to now 0.3 Mps. Upload is 1.5 mbs and great signal.

It is faster where I work 3.5 mbs download and 2.5 MBA upload.

(Probably got the speed wrong mbs/Mb/s?)

Used to be fast but now a dead dog 288 kps.

Closed all apps. Three are investigating.

I’m on Three…used to be quick but forget YouTube.

Can I cancel my contract?

molgrips
    Free Member

Give them a chance to fix it. It could be a fault with your phone.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

My phone is fine – checked sim same result in other phones.

Found other users locally having problems.

Three say too many users.

Put in another sim (non three) = fast.

At work (29 miles away) = fast.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Was called by their technical team and told there was a fault in the area.

Overloaded mast by too many customers in the area.

Told of mast upgrade by November.

Will wait and see what happens…

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Complain and ask for a femtocell or a discount

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tell them to stick it and use another supplier who can deliver ?

Russell96

It’s not a fault it is a failure in capacity planning. I’ll expand on that I used to be a network operations centre shift manager and we would be the poor suckers that would get in the neck from the customer contact centre, service managers, end users/customers when there was congestion on a part of the network that could have been avoided if someone had thought ahead a bit more.

Saying that with a mobile network the RAN’s can be in out of the way places due to coverage/tin foil hat/commercial reasons etc.. So it could be that planning did their job in plenty of time and placed an order of additional backhaul/more antenna and so on, but their 3rd party supplier is dragging their feet delivering it, either due to being useless or planning/wayleaves and so on.

Second the suggestion of the Femtocell, if you are nice but firm it has been known for mobile providers to send them out free of charge.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.

I have wifi at home and can use Skype.
    Mobile is always hooked to wifi at home/work.
    If my wifi dies, I can’t remote (easily) or prepare materials on 200 Kbps!

I’ll wait till the upgrade is done and then use the ideas posted.
    (I assume the upgrade is a lie but have a but if faith they might fix it – don’t gold your breathe right?)
    Legally I can’t stop paying and have 11 months left.

They over sell a product which results in customers not returning?

Russell96

You may if you kick up a fuss its worth a go as they are not delivering on their end of the contract – STW lawyers please expand/refute as needed.

Their sales teams/product managers will forecast and report on demand/sales however it will always be a case of some areas being busy and others quiet. If you designed/planned/deployed a telecoms network that had a 1:1 ratio of users/capacity then in 99.99% of cases the end users would refuse to pay what it actually cost to install and run never mind make a living off any margin on top.

I will add if you are using it for business but are on a consumer contract how far can you complain if it’s ruining your trade?

I’m a homeworker and yes I pay consumer rates for my broadband, however I didn’t go the cheapest supplier and then I have my mobile phone on one provider with the ability to tether it if needed and also pay as you go mifi on another provider just in case.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Need advice: Mobile 3G data speed 0.2mps throttling when I hardly use it.’ is closed to new replies.