• This topic has 22 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by wicki.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Need advice for a XC hardtail
  • wicki
    Free Member

Due to an unexpected offer from my brother in law to buy my old hardtail I am looking at what i can replace it with.

My trails are gentle flat lots of gravel and fire road usually do a 4 hour loop and like to go fast I have a spare set of 29er wheels and a lot of tires so Ill want to stick with 29″ format prefer a xc type geo something like the inbred (but lighter)71 degree HT 4″ travel is plenty,
    found this on offer at 899 is it good for the money ? I am struggling to find 29ers everyone is going 27.5 nowadays.

Kona Big Kahuna 29er 2013 Bike
    Kona have drawn upon all of their 25 years making bikes to craft this 29-inch-wheel gem that’s born to race. With geometry specifically purposed for cross-country racing, the Big Kahuna features all of the high-performance benefits of a Kona Scandium 6069 frameset—lighter, faster and marvelously responsive. The Big Kahuna comes with a new BB92 press fit bottom bracket, a stiff 142×12 rear axle, tapered HT and direct-mount front derailleur.

Frame: Kona Scandium 69
    Fork: Rock Shox Reba RL 29er Tapered 100mm
    Cranks: Sram X7
    Bottom Bracket: Sram X7
    Pedals: Shimano M520 Clipless
    Front Derailleur: Sram X7
    Rear Derailleur: Sram X9
    Shifters: Sram X7
    Cassette: Sram PG1030 11-36t 10 spd
    Chain: Sram PC1031
    Hubs: Easton XC 29er Wheelset 15mm
    Rear Hub: Easton XC 29er Wheelset 142x12mm
    Rims: Easton XC 29er Wheelset
    Tyres: Maxxis Ikon 29×2.2″ Folding
    Rear Tyre: Maxxis Ikon 29×2.2″ Folding
    Brakes: Avid Elixir 5
    Brake Levers: Avid Elixir 5
    Handlebar: Kona Energy
    Headset: FSA No.57B-1
    Stem: Kona XC/Road Deluxe
    Grips: Kona Race Light LOG
    Saddle: WTB Volt Comp
    Seat Post: Kona Double Clamp w/offset

ulysse
    Free Member

I’d look at the Whyte 29er range, the 2016 529 is blisteringly fast, so I’d assume the 2017 has only built on that

z1ppy

I was going to suggest them, but they don’t really fit in with his (older) style XC geo. The 2017 Whyte 629 looks very interesting but would be way too slack. All that said, I’d actually suggest demoing a newer style 29er HT’s, as you may like it.
    That said Whyte’s Carbon 29er range fits the bill… looking at 2nd hand ones obviously.

wicki
    Free Member

Yes the Geo is out of step with the new thinking but its really flat here and i don’t think slacker feels so good in a straight line I am riding more gravel type stuff than forest/mountain.

NormalMan

The spec and geo looks similar to my old 2013 Spesh Carve Expert. I think they changed the name to Crave the following year. It rode really well.

After a lot of nagging I gave it to my son. Not really ideal for his type of riding but he just really liked the the way it rode. He added some riser bars and ditched the (awful) Avid brakes for deore.

Not sure you’d find one new but maybe nearly new on the used market?

jambalaya
    Free Member

How much of Geo is fashion and fad ? As you say OP what was a good xc 29er a few years ago is still a good bike today. As you have a few bits already why not buy a good used bike ? Plenty of Cotic Solaris about for example.

Happy shopping

fifeandy
    Free Member

Don’t know how you are struggling to find 29ers, theres about a million to choose from.

On the budget you’ve hinted at i’d be looking at the Grand Canyon CF 5.9

wicki
    Free Member

Grand Canyon CF 5.9 yes that would fit the bill but its well north 0f 899 on my google search.

The carve /crave looks good to.

angeldust
    Free Member

I have a Kona King Kahuna, that is a few years old. Geometry may not be in line with current thinking (not sure to be honest), but it’s probably the best all round bike I’ve ever owned (in 20+ years of off road biking…..including some much more expensive bikes).

wicki
    Free Member

Thanks angeldust is yours a simallar spec to the one i listed which is a 2013 model?

I would like a little feedback on the spec my current bikes are 10 year old 27 speed 1″1/8 heattubes I would like to move forward a bit sure my old Tora fork cant have much life left in it.

angeldust
    Free Member

Spec is very similar, non-flashy, but everything works just fine. Even the elixir 5 brakes have been faultless. Mine is the carbon frame. I’ve changed a few bits. Fitted some lighter and blingier carbon xx cranks, and a wider carbon bar. I fitted some tubeless wheels, but also converted the Easton XC to tubeless and swap between the pair, rather than change tyres over. It’s just a simple, fairly light hardtail that works brilliantly for me. Mine is a large (20′?) frame. Long time since I weighed it, but 23-24lbs rings a bell. Fastest bike I’ve ever owned, but I’m no xc racer.

Friend recently tried it out and much preferred it to his brand new more modern geometry (albeit much cheaper, and heavier) hardtail. Where is a 2013 on offer for £899?

angeldust
    Free Member

Out of interest, I just compared the geometry of my bike (2012), to the latest versions. Quick scan suggests their isn’t much difference, if any (top tube length is exactly the same, for example). Are Kona lagging behind the times on this range, or has modern geometry not reached xc hardtails yet?

One of my newer bikes is a stumpjumper FSR. Not sure if this has more modern ( long and low?) geometry, but it doesn’t feel all that different to me. I guess all the other differences will effect the feel much more. I seem to remember reading that Specialized geometry isn’t that radical compared to ‘modern standards’. I’m rambling. Answer is to try the kahuna yourself for fit if at all possible. I really like mine. Don’t often keep bikes this long, but this one is staying.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@wicki the canyon is on sale at £1050 at the moment. In my mind thats same price bracket as £899.

Wouldnt recommend a carve myself, found it heavy and about as stiff as an overcooked noodle when i test rode it.

Spec of the kona looks great for the money if buying new, not so much second hand. Dont know much about scandium as a frame material though.

Biggest trouble at your price point is finding a non-entry level fork

fifeandy
    Free Member

@angeldust, modern geo isn’t necessarily even desirable for an XC race bike, although there is certainly some scope for slightly slacker but still light hardtails for general purpose riding.

wicki
    Free Member

@ angeldust

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/79590/Kona_Big_Kahuna_29er_2013_Bike

My old bike is a 2009 gary fisher cobia and all is getting a bit worn has a 69 degree HA and i find it wanders a bit the other is an Inbred 29 rigid with carbon fork which handles pin sharp but she is a heavy old beast I tried the fork from GF in the Inbred but its getting seriously heavy at around 14kg, and rigid on a 4 hour ride is hard on the old body now I am in my 50’s.

angeldust
    Free Member

If the scandium bike rides anywhere near as good as the carbon one, it’s a great bike for the money. I got mine for half price too…..must be my best buy ever.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Cotic Solaris without question

wicki
    Free Member

Cotic Solaris without question

to slack to long to heavy to expensive 500 frame only.

I have zero downhill here its just Flat plenty of forest but flat forest.

NormalMan

Funnily enough I replaced the Spesh I mentioned up there somewhere ^ with a Solaris.

For what you are suggesting I’d say the Spesh would suit you more too and this is from a Solaris fan.

wicki
    Free Member

Maybe I should look for a good wheel set and light fork for the Inbred then I will have the geo I like and suck up the extra 2 lb the frame is in excellent condition.

richmtb

Boardman Pro 29er at that price. Reba RLT. SRAM GX. Guide brakes. Amazing spec for the price

wiggles
    Free Member

Cube ltd?

wicki
    Free Member

wooow those Boardmans are well speced and ebay is full of them at good prices even brand new ones for 600 ish.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Need advice for a XC hardtail’ is closed to new replies.