Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Need a tyre like Racing Ralph but not!!
  • james266
    Free Member

So I bought a Swalbe Racing Ralph and put it on my front wheel and on the first ride managed to slit the side wall by about 2cm and puncture. I managed to patch it and went for another ride yesterday and managed to slit the side wall again, in a different place!

Ok I knew then I forked out way more than a tyre should cost that these had thin side walls which I only confirmed when they arrived and I fitted them but even then this is ridiculous!

I wasnt riding anything particularly rocky and I was in the Oxfordshire and Warwickshire area! They were at about 30-40psi and I weigh about 100kg with pack.

Now Im looking for a tyre that rides in a similar way as besides the crazy thin side walls I liked the good level of grip especially the side ridges and fast rolling. Any suggestions?

pmc00per
    Free Member

Why not try the rr snakes. I got fed up with having the same problem. I love the Ralph bit couldn’t afford to jeep replacing them. I have not had a failure since switching.

bigbeard
    Free Member

I fitted the “double defence” version recently – they’ve got a puncture proof strip and thicker side walls.

They seem pretty tough to me, but they do weigh more.

Racing Ralph Double Defense

Ian

james266
    Free Member

Im not too concerned about the weight but Schwalbe tyres as just too expensive. I dont want to be forking out £40.

brassneck

The Michelins On One were selling (XC Dry??) in 2.15 are good and comparable – as fast, roughly same amount of grip but more volume and tougher – riding them on the rigid bike, and Ralphs on the full suss.

They were a tenner each for folding too! Out of stock now though 🙁

charliemort

yup racing ralph evo snakeskin from germany – 37 euros from Bike 24

there’s a big differnce between the snakeskin and standard ones, for a bit more weight

Scapegoat

Second that^^ get some RR Evo Snakeskin from Germany. What sort of terrain are you riding by the way? I’ve ridden Ralphs on rocky stuff for several years and apart from a bit off scuffing have never damaged a sidewall.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Snakeskin is much more durable, not had a problem with them.

mcboo
    Free Member

yup Bike24 is your friend for Schwalbe tyres……club together with a mate or two and share the postage cost….only about EUR5 though.

james266
    Free Member

Is there really that much difference between a snakeskin and standard? What is double defence then?

mcboo
    Free Member

snakeskin has much reinforced sidewalls. I had a pair of Nics like that, as a general go-anywhere tyre, very good. DD has extra reinforcement under the tread as well, might be overkill if you care about weight.

PaulD
    Free Member

I have just been riding a Michelin Country Trail Folding 26×2.0 in the Pyrenees. It was €17 and 680g. Grip was excellent and drag on the tarmac was better/lower than expected. Set up Ghetto tubeless with Stans on an Olympic rim with glassfibre tape and it went up first time with a trackpump…and stayed up.

Decathlon sell them here too. Bargain.

PaulD

james266
    Free Member

Hmm looks like people really like their Schwalbes. So I bought the wrong type. I still have a new Nobby Nic in standard as well that I have now thrown the box away for…doh!!!

Any other brands? Maxxis? Conti?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Need a tyre like Racing Ralph but not!!’ is closed to new replies.