Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • need a shimano 10spd rear mtb mech…..spend £s or go cheap?
  • velocipede
    Free Member

Can’t make my mind up between £35 SLX OR £110 XTR….I could treat myself for Christmas, but is it worth it? Both come with a clutch, so….any thoughts??

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

IMO they work as well don’t they? they’ll both wear out eventually and rocks will make both of them break. go cheaper.

Northwind

If you go from SLX to XT the jockey wheels get proper bearings instead of bushings, for not a lot more money. Mind you, not everyone considers that an upgrade. The XT just seems a bit more solid, too- I bent an SLX quite easily, my 2 XTs are covered in scars but still good as new.

Haven’t tried a clutched XTR, did have a pre-clutch 10-speed one which was really nice but sold it as it felt like tying a £100 note to the back of the bike and just hoping it didn’t drop off. Didn’t shift any better, but was lighter.

wukfit
    Free Member

Oops missed mech
    I thought most the extra cost of xtr was to save weight?
    I’d go XT

bigblackshed

Depends on what you ride. If there’s any chance of smacking it on a rock then go cheap. If you have money to burn and won’t cry like a big girl’s blouse when you bend your XTR then spend away.

FWIW Deore is now so good I’d go for one of those but spend the difference on the shifter. Personally I find the shifter makes the shifts feel better rather than the mech.

tomaso
    Free Member

Cheap and posh? XT SGS shadow plus rear mech for £34?
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1197/a118044/xt-rear-derailleur-10-speed-rd-m786-d-direct-sgs-black.html
    I didn’t want SGS long cage and went for an SLX GS clutch rear mech for same money…

velocipede
    Free Member

Thanks for all the inputs…I was swayed to an XT from CRC for £40….could afford three for the price of an XTR and its a bit posher than an SLX….. 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

Ah too late! I was going to suggest having the best of both worlds and buy a secondhand XTR mech.

There are plenty of idiots trying 10 speed (buy XTR non-clutch mech), then try 1×10 (buy a XTR clutch mech) then realise they aren’t man enough and buy XX1 to get the range back but keep the single ring up front….. not that I would know any of these idiots or have two very expensive XTR mechs now lying around doing nothing 😀

velocipede
    Free Member

Still open to suggestions Dan – how much do you want for one of them?? 😀

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

personally i dont rate the slx one TBH

it seems cheaply made, the jockey wheels are shocking on it, ive had xtr , xt and slx, both of which of clutch problems (had both replaced under warranty)

the xtr one i had when they first came out, was still going strong until i sold it, a good 1.5 years on, shifting was better too and it never broke!

sram x0/xx1 all the way 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘need a shimano 10spd rear mtb mech…..spend £s or go cheap?’ is closed to new replies.