Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Need a replacement Chain – Anything better than Shimano
  • jlc
    Free Member

I am needing a new chain for an xt setup, presently using a Shimano XT HG93 chain. I have had no problems with it. Just wondered if there was anything better to go for? It is nine speed. Thanks

retro83
    Free Member

KMC or SRAM both work well. I like the nickel plated ones as they don’t go all rusty (and I’m a tart)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Those SRAM hollow pins jobbies are the biggest pieces of sh*te I’ve ever had the bad fortune to put on my bike.

Just a warning 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

So the XT chain works fine but you want to replace it?

*walks off shaking head*

jlc
    Free Member

Jamie

The chain is worn out and needs replacing, so I just wondered if there is anything out there better in terms of lasting longer, stronger or easier to remove.

vinnyeh

95% of people with geared bikes fall into one of two camps. They use sram/have never had problems with them/used to use shimano, had numerous problems with them and will never go back
    or
    they use shimano/have never had problems with them/used to use sram, had numerous problems with them and will never go back.

They will, however all agree that the sram powerlink is the best thing to happen to chains ever.

The other 5% use weird shit like wipperman and kmc for no other reason than to be different.

Note: the above doesn’t apply to ss/bmx etc.

Neptune
    Free Member

I am using a KMC chain, mostly just because i like the gold colour though. Been perfectly strong enough, withstood a lot of abuse just fine and lasted a good year.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The other 5% use weird shit like wipperman and kmc for no other reason than to be different.

KMC make Shimano chains.

snakebite
    Free Member

KFC is nice too

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Never had a problem with any chain as long as it has been fitted correctly! I tend to use Deores with powerlinks these days. I’ve never noticed improved performance/longevity with XT/XTR or SRAM equivalents. I’m sure somebody will be along to dispute that shortly!

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I dont like My KMC chain because its such a dog to take links out. It broke my chain spliter which removes Sram links with little problem. I dont know if this makes it stronger but it makes it a real arse if you snap a chain on a long ride away from home. When this happened on my Sram chain it was easy to just pop the broke link out and put the Sram powerink back in. It was my fault I broke the chain due to changing gear too quick and stoping on the pedals on a climb. The Pins in the KMC are really really pressed in hard.

I have never had a problem with any SRAM chain and would advice getting one. My mate has snapped 3 though, but changes gear at daft times, on hills etc. So I’m putting that down to user error.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The last SRAM chain I bought did this;

That was three years ago, haven’t used one since.

scotia
    Free Member

if your chain is needing replaced, have a good check of the chainrings, and cassette..

i use sram – never had a problem. I have had a few shimano snap.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Think I read somewhere the new Dura Ace roadie stuff is gonna have a superlink type thing on so I’d be surprised if Shimano don’t start putting them on all of their chains soon….

ozzybmx
    Free Member

SRAM ! and if it breaks when you are out on the trail , reach into you bag and stick your spare chain on or if its broken in the right place , new powerlink .

I carry 3 spare links and a new chain .

Since going tubeless , a broken chain is the only problem i have , its happened 3 times in the last year and it is always 100% my fault , changing under stress ….. My swap to a rapid rise derailleur is the cause of all 3.

SRAM 100%

Trekster

Can`t remember the last time I had a broken chain.

But then again I tend to check for wear every 3mths or so and change before it it too far gone/near breaking point

Buy a chain length/wear checker or a steel rule.

garethh
    Free Member

Just trying a roholff sl 99 about £40, a bit more expensive, but i’ve had to split it about three times for various reasons not related to the chain and its dead easy to split and rejoin, its also beating the shimano piece of chain thats currently being left outside to compare how quickly they both corrode, the roholff is nickel plated. Can recommend it so far..

househusband

Former Rohloff user (when they could be had for £20) now current Wippermann user. One of the 5%’ers that like ‘wierd shit’!

ziggy
    Free Member

Yep Shimano chains will all soon be coming with powerlink style links for fitting chains, after about 20 years they have finally admitted defeat with joining pins, in fact they were often the weakest link (sorry) in Shimano chains.

For me though it has to be KMC, by far the best value and choice.

And yes SRAM are not the quality they once were.

This comes from experience of selling and fitting hundreds of chains every year, not fairy stories 🙂

coopersport1
    Free Member

The new Shimano power link is a pile on SH**TE, no where near as easy as a sram power link.
    I’ve been running a PC991 chain for years now, yes i’ve broken them suprisingly the ones that came from the shop on the bike??? within 100miles, this happened twice on 2 different new bikes??? but 30secs later there is a power link in and on the way.

I replace the chain at 75% wear now to save the cassettes and have never since broken one that i’ve fitted???? I may try a KNC one cause i,ve heard good things about them but if it aint broke don’t fix it! Sram comes in a nice little plastic box as well, good if you carry a spare.

I also stretched and bent a brand new Shimano chain on my SS within 20km, chainline was perfect. Stuck an old worn 8sp Sram on and again cover probably 700miles on it and never had a prob, not even cleaned it!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Need a replacement Chain – Anything better than Shimano’ is closed to new replies.