Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Need a new warm(ish) jacket with synthetic insulation….
  • Simon

…. probably a Montane Prism ‘cos I like their stuff, would rather not pay full price.
    Any other recommendations, seen anything reduced?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

montane prism

scotroutes

🙂

It’s true. I’ve had a look at some alternatives and none of them measure up to the Prism. In fact, I’m going to buy a second one!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Suggsey
    Free Member

Rab Generator Smock every time for me, stays warm even when wetted out.
    if its for static/walking then Buffalo Special 6

GregMay
    Free Member

Patagonia Nano Puff pullover. You gets what you pays for. This is my go to jacket for nearly everything bike, running, walking, climbing related when it gets cold.

plumber
    Free Member

Rab Generator Smock every time for me

Yes indeed

jam-bo

Arcteryx atom

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Got a Rab smock thing from the factory shop. It was a sample but if you are anywhere near Alfreton it is worth looking in for a bargain (basically all half price).

scotroutes

Smock <> Jacket

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

That would be a Snorkel Parka that you are after, been around for decades. The orange lining is so cozy looking. £30-£50. Next question.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Swear by my Prism.

Simon

Ok, thanks for all the input. Budget is tight, what’s the cheapest place for a Prism in medium?

euain

I got a Mountain Equipment Citadel jacket after garnering opinions on this very forum. It’s a warm jacket (very warm rather than warm-ish) but I love it and can recommend if you’re wanting to be cosy. 🙂

benp1

What conditions for?

There is quite a wide range of synthetic fills, everything from 40g/m2 to 133g/m2 (and more) so your desired use would help inform selection

My most used is a 60g/m2 fill Berghaus Ignite. Fits well so I can wear on the hills or down the pub, (but this is really reserved for outdoor use), plus I can layer with it (typically with a down vest).

I’ve got about 5 primaloft jackets – big fan. Find them more versatile than my down jackets

Simon

General day to day autumn/winter wear, wear after rides, take camping. Maybe take it hill walking a few times a year. Versatility is what I want.

sambob
    Free Member

Montane Prism. I’ve got a bright green one, looking for a black one for a bit more subtlety.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just got a Rab Generator vest. Its awsumballz

Trekit did have them in their sale a few weeks ago…

slowclimb
    Free Member

Berghaus Asgard Hybrid – Primaloft & hyddrophobic down, amazing jacket – I’ve got one. On Sport Pursuit for £94 reduced from £190.
    Whole other quality level to the Montane, which I do think is a great jacket for the money too though. On Sport Pursuit for £94 reduced from £190.

loddrik
    Free Member

Paramo, I’ve just bought a Cuzco for on the bike and a Pasco for off it. Both would fit your bill perfectly.

scotroutes

Paramo is nothing like Primaloft (I have both so I’m not biased in any way).

loddrik
    Free Member

No, but they are warm and waterproof. Certainly as warm as something with 60g primaloft

russianbob
    Free Member
    miketually
    Free Member

I got my Montane Prism from Go Outdoor.

benp1

Paramo is like wearing a microfleece and a windshirt

A 60g primaloft top is the same

the big differences are waterproofness, breathability and packability. They have very different purposes

For an all round top I’d say 40g was too cool. I’d be going for a 60g or 100g top. To be honest, in that range there are loads. Think about fit (long arms, slim cut, drop tail), options (pockets, hood) and function (i.e. pullover smock or jacket)

I find jackets more versatile, but they are slightly heavier and pack down ever so slightly bigger. But easier to put on and ventilate

yunki
    Free Member

Not a very fashionable choice, but perfect for what you’re describing, I got an ace dare2B jobbie last year for the grand sum of about 4p

it’s very good at what it does but isn’t very waterproof (or breathable or packable for that matter)

Simon

Already got a cheap Dare2Be thing that’s not very warm or packable! 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Need a new warm(ish) jacket with synthetic insulation….’ is closed to new replies.