Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Need a new tele
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

So we’ve moved house and the 42″ Panny is too big for the room and it has been sold. I am now tele-less.

So looking for a new 32″ tele which must offer a good standard definition picture as this is what we watch 90% of the time. Not fussed about smart features and all that as the xbox serves that purpose. Budget is limited to £350 max.

Any ideas? Ta.

stumpyjon

Samsung LED in my opinion. Lots to choose from, find the one closest to your budget.

Tiger6791

Don’t know what to buy but I do know my Sony is a bit rubbish and wouldn’t buy a Sony ever again

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You could buy two decent 32” TVs for £350.

IHN

Walk into the nearest Curry/Comet and over to their enormous range of tellies. Find one for about £350 that you like the look of. Buy it.

They’re all basically much of a muchness.

FWIW I have a Sony that was about that amount and it’s fine. My mate has a Samsung, it’s fine too.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You could buy two decent 32” TVs for £350.

where? define decent?

I thought the latest Sonys looked good, the colors on my older Sony aren’t quite right despite some tuning in the service menu. Plus their screens weren’t too glossy, unlike many.

I have also seen some Sharps that seemed pretty good – good colors and showing some ‘depth’ to the picture, which plasmas seem to do better than LCDs. You would have to check which ones were rated well though as I am not sure which models they were.

[Color correctness is very important in my book.]

I don’t like Samsungs – their picture processing is pants and if you are going to be watching SD then the picture processing will kick in. Plus their screens tend to be quite glossy and reflective.

[However if you are feeding it from a tivo or similar then the processing consideration may be moot as you would be using the tivos and turning off the tv processing hopefully]

I would probably go for another Panasonic myself, unless I could work out which Sharp it was.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

They’re all basically much of a muchness

not true. Have you considered glasses, or getting your prescription reviewed?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

where? define decent?

Plenty of Tvs for less than £200, perhaps a *bit* hopeful at two for that price though.

IHN

Have you considered glasses, or getting your prescription reviewed?

Excellent, well done you.

Buying a telly for £350 for just, you know, watching the telly, is like buying a mountain bike for a grand for just, you know mountain biking. With a couple of probable exceptions, anything you buy will serve you well, but you’ll always get some smart@rse telling you that the tyres/colour depth/brakes/processing/forks/whatever are much better on Brand A than Brand B.

Flaperon

Get ANYTHING other than Samsung LED. They’re incapable of processing colours properly and flesh tones are way off, even with professional calibration equipment. It will drive you nuts, believe me – and it’s not just the cheap ones. I returned a £1100 40 inch model because the colours couldn’t be calibrated properly.

LG or Panasonic are generally spot on.

Gunz
    Free Member

We needed a new TV and as I mentioned in the phone thread I’ve just got a new Samsung Galaxy phone for £15 ppm and it comes with a free 32″ Toshiba (HD Ready). The TV width is 79cm if that would fit and it seems like a good deal to me (Carphone Warehouse if you’re interested).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Plenty of Tvs for less than £200

plenty of mountain bikes for less than £200 as well…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

plenty of mountain bikes for less than £200 as well…

There is but the OP was clear that he didn’t want anything too fancy and a perfectly rideable mountain bike can be had for much less than most on here would pay.

stumpy01

Mate of mine recently bought a new LG tv and is well pleased with it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

but you’ll always get some smart@rse telling you that the tyres/colour depth/brakes/processing/forks/whatever are much better on Brand A than Brand B.

just because your vision is obviously substandard it doesn’t mean that the OPs is.

All £350 tv do not perform the same, so why not buy the best performing – it seems a pretty rational thing to do.

I would go for a set with the best color accuracy – nowadays most people would run the TV from some sort of PVR so you can offload the picture processing to that box.

Buying a 720P set is also a good option as there is less picture processing required to ‘upscale’ SD to a full HD panel, so less artifacts, etc, and the price might be better.

IHN

just because your vision is obviously substandard it doesn’t mean that the OPs is.

Well aren’t you just a charming little man.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Well aren’t you just a charming little man.

I am not here to charm you – I was trying to offer some useful advice to the OP, unlike your bs statements which offered no value, only misguidence.

IHN

I am not here to charm you – I was trying to offer some useful advice to the OP, unlike your bs statements which offered no value, only misguidence.

Ooh, go on, I love it when you talk dirty.

hora
    Free Member

You can’t go far wrong with Richersounds IMO. Great customer service when WE broke the tv they still offered us a good/sizeable discount off a replacement tv.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

On the Toshiba set that mastiles linked to a user comments that:

“Although not full HD, 720P instead of 1080 the picture to my eyes looks much better than old 1080”

which is what I was saying about it might be better to buy a 720P set if you watch a fair proportion of SD – you are using the lower resolution of the screen to ‘smooth out’ the ‘upscaled’ SD picture, whereas a 1080P screen will show all the upscaling artifacts in their full glory.

HD broadcasts are 720P or 1080i, so even these will need upscaling to a full HD set.

People always used to praise plasma for giving better pictures, but the early plasmas were ntsc, so 480 lines, and so also did this smoothing.

I had a 540P Sharp which had fantastic PAL pictures from a SCART feed, and it took a tivo type box with 300 mips of power and an hdmi connection to my Sony to only ‘match’ the SD picture quality of the Sharp.

IHN

Useful stuff to know.

Of course, you could have said all of it without the petty insults towards me along the way.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And that Tosh that mastiles links to also looks interesting.

If you buy online you can easily return if there are any dead pixels (or you don’t like the picture at home).

If you buy in a shop then they may well grade any lost/stuck pixel count and determine whether it is allowed under the manufacturers policy, in which case you have to accept it. For example, if they are at the edge of the screen.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Of course, you could have said all of it without the petty insults towards me along the way.

well I wish people wouldn’t make these “I can get xxx for < £nnn” or “all £xxx items are much of a muchness” type statements.

It’s advice like that which has led to most of the UK hifi inductry being in chinese hands and restricted to the upper end of the market.

I personally see a lot of difference between Sony and Samsung (in particular) sets.

My first job was at BBC research department so I got to see the proper HD tv that was being developed – 1280 lines of analogue (uncompressed) – and that was impressive and makes modern HD look pretty iffy.

So I am quite picky when I see modern TV sets, as most are pretty dissappointing in some respect.

IHN

well I wish people wouldn’t make these “I can get xxx for < £nnn” or “all £xxx items are much of a muchness” type statements.

Well, that makes it alright then.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Well, that makes it alright then.

good 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Errrr, so which telly? My wife wants a ~40 incher and I really have no interest apart from wanting a good un at a good price.

Can someone point me in the right direction sans squabbling please?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

at about 40inch I would look at the Panasonic plasmas, unless you are concerned about leccy usage.

plasmas have the edge for picture quality.

Pioneer used to make the best plasmas.

Pioneer sold the plasma business to Panasonic.

Panasonic have a good reputation for reliability.

My mate has bought one recently and it is noticeable how much better than my LCD it is at showing depth of field on a picture, making it seem more realistic (he uses it with a tvonics freeview pvr).

buy from John Lewis for the 5 year warranty.

OK ?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My wife wants a ~40 incher

boblo
    Free Member

Thank you.

@MF….happy to oblige 🙂

TiRed

Samsung. We have a 32″ LCD and it’s an excellent TV. I also have a Pioneer 42″ Plasma for caparison, and the image quality on the Samsung is acceptable. Feed it a good signal, check settings for calibration on avforums.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Feed it a good signal

OP said mostly SD, so that’s not an option…

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Need a new tele’ is closed to new replies.