Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Need a new pack, any good deals for anything recommended?
  • paulneenan76
    Free Member

My pack needs a replacement after many years service – I’d have the same but I can’t get it anymore. Needs to take a 3litre bladder (not often it’s full but often enough) and space for the usual crap. Needs to be comfy and provide some air to my back. Am I looking at Decathlon or is there alternatives which are better and good value? Sub £100 a must. Under £50 would be sweet.
    Ta.

orena45

Liking my Camelbak Skyline 10LR (my own review here)

PrinceJohn

Osprey do some nice ones, usually on offer at the usual places and there was a thread just the other day discussing how wonderful their customer service is

meeeee
    Free Member

Orena45 – does the skyline feel less sweaty with it being lower down, or just the same as a normal pack?

pickle
    Free Member

Been using one of these for a while now, i know it’s only 2Lts but for the money it’s really well made.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-hydration-pack-red-id_8354528.html

paulneenan76
    Free Member

The Decathlon one’s appear to be a steal. Osprey I hear great things about but does the cost represent good value?

aether531
    Free Member

I’ve got the 3 litre Decathlon pack, and it’s really good.

The strap arrangement is really solid and doesn’t move around. Loads of space for carrying stuff, with lots of handy pockets (the ones on the waist are great for snacks etc). There’s also a neon yellow waterproof cover hidden in the bottom which is a nice touch.

One thing I would say is it’s a little heavy, but it is a lot of pack for the money. I’d highly recommend it.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/920-hydration-pack-red-id_8354529.html

benp1

I have a Camelbak Mule that I’ve been pretty happy with

Osprey has lots of fans though (I have quite a few Osprey packs too but have a Mule for off road)

anono

I know you asked for 3 litres – if you’re prepared to go thirsty, this is only 2l but hits your sub £50 price.

Camelbak charge £42

orena45

meeeee – Member
    Orena45 – does the skyline feel less sweaty with it being lower down, or just the same as a normal pack?

I find it less sweaty yeah, but it’s still hugging your lower back so ultimately still gets warm under there. Bit more air circulation higher up your back though which is good.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I asked about the Charge at the time. My question was would my 3 litre bladder fit with just 2litres in it?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I’ve just got one of those Skyline packs, impressed so far, it really does make a difference having the water lower on your back, much more stable and comfortable, reminds me of my old Macpac Ultramarathon. I’ve also got an old Decathlon pack, great value for money but just not quite made as well as Camelbaks imho. Got the Skyline from Tredz for about £75. orena45’s review just about says it all really although I’ve not had any issues with zips.

kiwijohn

Dakine Drafter. Had mine for years & still haven’t seen anything better.

Wookster

Dakine here too, I’ve got a nomad. Great pack had it few years now.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I have a black Dakine drafter for sale if you are interested.
    Used twice and still in very good condition, £25 posted?

soobalias
    Free Member

in a similar situation, about to replace a mule which has served me very well….

what size drafter, the 12L version?

kiwijohn

Drafter is 12L
    Nomad is 18L

canopy
    Free Member

my ‘wilderness’ riding pack is a camelbak mule (3L) got it from somewhere that matched halfords online price of £50 quid (they were trying to charge £80 IIRC). its feeling a bit big for the summer unless i’m carrying a meal – but its perfect for the winter when there’s a pac-a-mac and cover in there too.

have put together a cheaper smaller 2L pack with less stuff in for trail centres. makes you realise how good the camelbak bite valve is 🙂

(yes that means I run two sets of spare tube/pump/chain breaker etc.. as i don’t want to be swapping toolsets over and accidentally leave home without any tools..)

zilog6128

I asked about the Charge at the time. My question was would my 3 litre bladder fit with just 2litres in it?

Don’t know about that exact pack, I’d guess not though. Tried it with a 3L bladder into a different pack and there’s just not the room! Surely that Charge comes with a 2L bladder anyway though?

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I have a load of Cenote bladders from a purchase some time ago so any pack that comes with a bladder will be sold on/given to a mate without/kept as a spare. If i cant take a 3 litre bladder with just 2 in it then its pointless. Perhaps for £35 the Decathlon 920 job is a clear winner?

zilog6128

Maybe. The whole point of that Camelbak one though is that it takes a special bladder that sits horizontally down by the hips (unlike the Decathlon one as far as I can tell) so possibly your existing bladders wouldn’t fit anyway.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Need a new pack, any good deals for anything recommended?’ is closed to new replies.