Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Need a new intercooler for my X-Trail – help!
  • TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

The intercooler is cracked 🙁

It still runs ok for now, but on borrowed time.

I've googled for a few days but so far only really found one for 375 on ebay. Seems a bit excessive when there are hundreds for really high performance cars, triple the size, for half as much.
    Anyone got any ideas of manufacturers I can contact? I'm not bothered who makes it or what it looks like as long as I can make it fit.

It's for an 02, 2.2DI YD22DTI

Ta for now

Xylene
    Free Member

Find out if it's a common fault.

Mazda had a recall on their intercoolers for their 6's.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

It's certainly not unheard of. But it's 8 years old and done 132k, also spent a good portion of it's life on the Rhyll coast before we bought it.

takisawa2

I've used those online spares sites to some good use a few times.
    Might be worth a go.
    A couple below:-
    Click
    Click
    Click

Also, I'm sure that engine is the same as in the Kia Sportage so that might broaden your search a bit.

TheFlyingOx

Where is it cracked, and how badly? Could it be welded?

Alternatively, just buy one of the cheaper ones and make it fit with custom silicone tubes. If size in the engine bay is at a premium, MR2 Turbo intercoolers are pretty compact and go for about £80-£120 on eBay.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I'll try the parts sites thanks.. It's fairly small but top mounted as with a lot of jap cars. Not sure if it could be welded, noticed a tiny oil leak about 12 months ago at the front top of the engine. Thought it might be the rocker cover, but was so small I wasn't worried. On sunday after a very long run I saw what looked like steam coming out of the engine bay. Oil leak has got worse and the vapour seems to be coming right out of the center of the intercooler. Haven't taken it off though yet for a proper inspection

stumpy01

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/index.asp

This place does intercoolers, but more for the performance end of the market…they might have something though??

tron
    Free Member

Allisport fabricate intercoolers. I don't think they're that pricey.

But – WTF would oil be coming out of an intercooler? Intercooler normally refers to an Air / Air heat exchanger – ie, a radiator full of pressurised air from the turbo, cooled by ambient air in the engine bay. There should not be significant amounts of oil in it.

On the other hand, a Chargecooler is an Air/Water heat exchanger, you have pressurised air from the turbo being cooled by the same coolant that runs through your rad. Obviously, that could concievably leak, but it wouldn't be leaking oil.

You'd also notice a fair performance difference, and possibly fault lights due to excessive intake temperature with either of these items being leaky.

tron
    Free Member

Thinking on, the only reason I can see for a lot of oil to be coming out of the intercooler in any volume is for the turbo oil seals to be dead. You normally get some oil in the intake air from the crankcase ventilation. It's a question of how much oil I suppose!

petrieboy

Assuming it doesn't have to be a weird shape, just get the biggest that will fit from your choice of performance cars and fit it with custom silicon hoses. Should be plenty OE impreza units on eBay as the scooby boys all fit big FMIC's

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Got one for 85 quid from anglia 4×4. Guy reckons it's like new, we'll see….

The leak is nothing really. It's noticeable, but it's never dripped and i've never cleaned so I could monitor it properly untill it was fixed. From what i've read it's normal, especially for there engines.
    The performance is down, but not by much, feels like the turn is flat sometimes for a few seconds when I accelerate. I think the egr is clogged too, so i'll strip it all down when I swap it. Might be here for the weekend.

Thanks for the links and advice

stumpy01

When one of the intercooler hoses came off my Ibiza, it was quite oily inside.
    The recovery bloke who looked at it, reckoned it was perfectly normal as did my usual garage that ordered in and re-fitted a replacement hose. Been fine ever since and must be getting on for 50k miles since it happened (at least).

Good news you got one sorted.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Got lucky really. Found a guy on ebay selling a few navara ones, just mailed him and asked if he had anything that might fit and he did!

Must have sent 20 odd emails though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Need a new intercooler for my X-Trail – help!’ is closed to new replies.