Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Need a new FreeSat box
  • PJay
    Free Member

My wife and I need a new FreeSat box. Most of what’s one FreeSat is complete tosh but our box (a PC World/Currys own brand I think) has an ethernet socket and access to the BBC IPlayer which is probably what we use most.

It looks like different systems support different versions of IPlayer and we’ve been getting a warning that our version will cease to be supported in September (I doubt that we’ll get a software update).

We can’t afford to spend large amount, so can anyone recommend a good, ethernet supported FreeSat box with IPlayer support that will continue into and beyond September? Record support would be nice but not essential as would access to other internet services.

keithb

We’re in the same situation which is annoying as the box is only just over a year old.

I’ve tried finding out what the bbc plan is for iplayer support, so I can find a amw with a version with the longest support plan but to no avail.

It’s frustrating as a new box could become immediately obsolete and we have no comeback!

Sorry,not much help..

cloudnine
    Free Member

Streaming is where it’s at now.. Something like an Amazon fire stick with kodi side loaded. A few years time and we’ll hardly believe people watched scheduled TV

PJay
    Free Member

Some of the cheaper Humax models look really good. The BBC website lists certified boxes (although you appear to have to search for bands rather than have a menu); Humax ones here – http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/humax

I’m assuming that the one’s that don’t say “Until September 2016” will work beyond this.

I’m sure that the whole thing should be avoidable if manufactures updated the software.

fisha
    Free Member

Is the TV a smart tv that could run player itself?

PJay
    Free Member

Is the TV a smart tv that could run player itself?

We’re a bit ‘low income’ I’m afraid; we’re still watching a great big CRT unit (nice picture though)!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

The Humax boxes are pretty good and the refurbished ones seem good value:

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/freesat/hb-1000s.html

Or as above, get some kind of streaming device like a fire stick or Raspberry Pi.

But since you’ve got a CRT you might be limited on connectivity, etc.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Need a new FreeSat box’ is closed to new replies.