Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • need a new car after a crash – what too look our for on a e39 5 series
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

crashed my car on friday just before a week off!!

Have had two e39 5 series and love them, but obviously they are 5 years older than when i last had one. what should i be looking for? should i go for the next one the E60 i think?

tthew

Aren’t they, (E60’s) the vintage with the cam-belt problem in some engines? I can’t even remember if it’s the petrols or diesels, but a lad at work got landed with a low multiple thousands £ bill for an engine rebuild on one of those.

I’m sure there’s plenty of knowledge out there in Googleland.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

The E39s are getting on now so rust is something to look out for. If diesel then they can get through injectors and the various fuel pumps – but tricky to spot in advance. Suspension complex and wears – listen for clunks and rattles and steering shimmy under braking. Also if diesel, unless it’s manual then the engine has the swirl flap issue so worth checking they’ve been removed. Auto boxes supposedly sealed for life – there’s ongoing debate about whether to change the oil or not after 100k or so miles. If you’re looking at the Touring then make sure the tailgate will stay up…

timber

Considered getting one a while back, but couldn’t find what I wanted. Suspension items mostly, particularly air suspension on tourings and rust at the edges amongst all the usual stuff for older cars.
    And trying not to buy an M5.

br
    Free Member

Auto boxes supposedly sealed for life – there’s ongoing debate about whether to change the oil or not after 100k or so miles

Mine went at 125k, autobox went into ‘safe’ mode.

Wasn’t worth fixing – nearest ‘expert’ quoted £900 to assess and provide a cost to fix. A 12 y/o 535i wasn’t worth that, even though everything else was solid.

A pal had the later model, didn’t feel as well put together – plus his turbo (530d) went at 50k.

crispy
    Free Member

I loved my e39. Bought it at 60k, sold it at 170k. Still miss it sometimes.

Corrosion was the biggest thing starting to creep in, and there were a couple of electrical gremlins creeping in, but mechanically really sound.

I bought an e-class to replace it and, lovely as it is, it’s cost me a lot more in repairs in three years than the e39 did over 8…

sturmeyarcher

I had a 2003 E39 525d Auto Touring from when it was 3 years old (40k miles) to 10 (>200k), it’s now with a mate and going strong at over 280k miles. Biggest issue was two injectors (~$800) just after the BMW warranty ran out (showed up as starting problem). There was also ~£700 to replace the self-leveling rear suspension units (listen for hisses at the back). Apart from that it’s was wear and tear stuff and never expensive. As mentioned above, rust is starting to appear round the sills and arches but it is still a solid car and very comfy to cross continents in.

Top tip is to find a BMW independent service shop you trust. Quarry Motors in Sheffield are very good.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I used to have an e39 530d that the turbo went on and the rac very kindly blew up for me. Loved it sooooo much which is why I want another.

Aware of the swirl flaps so will check that out thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘need a new car after a crash – what too look our for on a e39 5 series’ is closed to new replies.