Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Need a new back door & frame ……….. any suggestions for suppliers?
  • jj55

I can’t put it off any longer I’m going to have to replace my back, kitchen, door and frame. I’ve obviously googled for companies I could use, but have the STW hive any suggestions for companies? I live in Herefordshire
    Thanks

edlong
    Free Member

I didn’t think we were allowed to discuss back doors on here anymore?

jj55

😯

Mugboo

I’ve just had a quote from a Rockdoors fitter for a new front door and frame, £1260!! Supposed to be the Rolls Royce of composite doors but that’s a hell of a lot of money..

Onzadog
    Free Member

I got a ticking off for me ruining back doors recently. It’s clearly a no go area.

project
    Free Member

Probably about 50 quid for a hardwood frame, and then 150 quid for a hardwood door, from Howdens, so far they dont sell the engineered veneered blocks that the sheds sell, then a mortice sah lock ,hinges and rack bolts handles and weather board,

About 500 quid fitted.

cb

How worried / concerned are you about degree of security? We went the Rockdoor vault route recently and it was a grand fitted. Its a lot of money but we went for the pay once principle…

If that fits your budget I’d recommend verysecuredoors.co.uk

Seems to be a one man outfit but he fits Rockdoors all day every day and was the most reliable tradesman I’ve used in years. Based in Derby but will travel.

jj55

You could buy a bike for that !

Mugboo

cb – just to help me compare prices/quotes, We’ve asked for a Jacobean with Apollo glass, black frame and door outside and white inside with a chrome handle and letterplate and chose the Ultimate door.

What did you get for a grand?

mrmo
    Free Member

We’ve asked for a Jacobean with Apollo glass, black frame and door outside and white inside with a chrome handle and letterplate and chose the Ultimate door.

open in or open out and is it south facing? just be careful with dark south facing doors. and ask them what they are like with warranty on chrome, there is some real crap door furniture around, as in the coating will fail in months.

darrimc30
    Free Member

Hi, just had a solidor composite door fitted excellent construction and only £770 fitted by a local fitter in newcastle

trail_rat
    Free Member

A Rockdoor?? – do you have shutters on your windows too ? Seems pointlessly over the top unless you do !

Mugboo

Mrmo – nope, not South facing and opens inwards. I’ll ask about the warranty on the chrome.

My reason for looking at Rockdoors are because of some very happy neighbours and the opinion of my joiner (who doesn’t fit them). I expect the chrome to be as good as the doors themselves.

We prefer real wood but over the years we are sick of water coming in when the wind blows the wrong way. As for security, any burglars will try our kitchen door (out of sight) or side window. It was the reccomendations of quality that attracted me. I’m happy to hear about other good quality doors too.

globalti
    Free Member

If you’re worried about security get a steel/wood/steel laminate door, these are really excellent:

http://www.ianfirth.co.uk/index.php/external-doors/steel

We have the cottage door without window and it’s solid, warm, weather proof and durable.

Bez

In case this is of any use, I’m open to offers:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-nearly-new-upvc-door

cb

mugboo – that’s pretty much what we got (we had the front done as well) apart from the exterior colour. Our front was £1050 fitted. That included the knocker with spy hole. We didn’t get the four hook locks, just the two. If you have need / use for a chain then you need to order that as well for obvious reasons. We didn’t because I forgot and with small kids its one thing that I miss.

The chrome door furniture seems high quality to me but its early days. Its certainly not B&Q “chrome”!!

Mugboo

Cheers cb, and I’ll have a look at that Globalti, I work in Birkenshaw and the house is in Brighouse.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Need a new back door & frame ……….. any suggestions for suppliers?’ is closed to new replies.