Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Need a light for xc running
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Something to help me see the trail at night and over winter.
    I've got a Tika, could do with something better.

Also anything for the Springer so I can see him.

surfer
    Free Member

Oldgit I suspect the Tika is as good as it gets unless you want something with a big battery pack.
    I have used the Alpkit headtorch as well which is similar in terms of output etc.
    I found both usable for runs in local woods.

I have seen dogs with flashing collars, Daisy_Dukes Lurcher had one I recall although it was that fast I think it probably looked like a light show from John Michel Jarre(sp)

oldgit
    Free Member

Perhaps my Tikas cream crackered it is an original after all.
    Don't know how the hound will get on as he runs all over the place.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IanMunro
    Free Member

If it's an original tikka then it will be totally outshone but pretty much any current equivalent.
    Try an alpkit gamma. Very bright and very cheap.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Love my Alpkit Gamma – stunning VFM, very bright and it comes with a flashing rear light!

Better than the Tikka it replaced at a fraction of the cost

oldgit
    Free Member

That looks great and cheap, thanks.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

I've just got back from a trail running trip to Chamonix and watching the Mont Blanc Ultra, the most popular lamps we saw were Petzl Myo, especially the RXP model. I felt a bit overkill as as I used a Hope One Adventure, heavy but the ground was lit. The Petzl Ultra were popular too, but price is scary high. We also carry the Elite by Petzl just in case we have battery failure.

oldgit
    Free Member

You might be the man to ask this then. I also need some trail running shoes, over the last few weeks I looked at some but they just seem to be heavy duty road shoes i.e the soles are pretty slick.
    I'm using Flyrocs at the moment, but I now think my pace is too slow for them and my weight a bit too much.
    I think what I need is something like a padded Walsh or XC spike, any ideas?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Salomon Speed cross?

surfer
    Free Member

Salomon +1 but go for the XA not the speed cross IMO.
    The Speed Cross are a similar weight and profile to the Flyrocs. The XA is more of a compromise and something you can train in on even very rough and muddy surfaces but still have some cushioning for hard pack and roads.
    I wouldnt bother with Walsh unless you have very narrow feet. They are very good but very narrow.

Ewan
    Free Member

I'd go with Salomon, soles are thinner than road shoes so you can 'feel' the ground more. Personally I think that's boll0cks but it certainly makes you less likely to twist your ankle.

I do a lot of night running, as I like to run off road and get home too late in winter. After a lot of messing around with head torches I came up with this:

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=645

And two of these (which also double as my MTB head torches)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16844
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3273
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2709
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6672

Stupidly bright (500lm) I can just as fast as I can in daylight. Normally only have one on at a time (still lots of light), which means that on full I can run for two hours or so. If I wanted to do longer I could run them at half which would still be fine. They also have a pretty mental strobe function which I use on the road, just point one back wards in the hand band.

Probably almost twice as bright as a hope adventure 1, each torch only weighs 100g ish if that, and the head band makes it very balanced with non of the bobbing you get with a head torch.

phinbob

I use an Alpkit Gamma, works brilliantly. Low power for semi-lit bits and full beam for proper off road. Cheap as chips and really well made, had it over a year now.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Another vote here for the Alpkit.

AdamT

I'm an alpkit gamma user too. Great kit. WRT to shoes, innov8 do plenty of other shoes with more cushioning than the flyrocs. I run with terrocs but they do some with even more padding. If your flyroc uppers fit you OK, then there'll be an equivalent with more cushioning. I emailled them and they were extremely helpful with suggestions.

AdamT

LOL, I can almost feel an "STW night run" thread brewing. Swinley forest anyone?

Johnboy373
    Free Member

For your dog. I use these for ralph in the winter their super bright.

http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/pet-safety-blinkers-10816-0.html

oldgit
    Free Member

Ordered the Gamma, should be fine it's only forest trails I'm running. I'll give Inov8 a call later today.
    Yep night running is the new s/s down here.

cp

re. shoes – i'd go to a proper running shop and get your stride looked at – i did a few months ago, and i went from not being able to run more than 20 mins on my dodgy ankle to doing fell races, 20mile run round edale skyline and quite a bit of road running – about 2-3 times a week, whereas in my old 'these feel pretty good, i'll take these' shoes, i was in agony…

i ended up with Brooks Cascadia, which have been amazing.

oldgit
    Free Member

cp
    I'm quite fortunate that I don't suffer any problems and have a long on/off affair with running. Did lots of county xc as a youth, and dozens of 1/2s and two marathons in the past.
    I'm just slower and heavier now.
    My Flyrocs are in a desperate state, full of holes inside and semi-slick soles.

ChrisF
    Free Member

Oldgit – Julie has a Gamma which she uses on group night runs – it's great value but not bright enough for really rough ground. Prob OK for your local woods etc.
    You've got a joystick haven't you? I've got a headband for my Joystick – that's as bright as you'll need…

oldgit
    Free Member

Headband for a Joystick, off to look on USE.

stever
    Free Member

I use a Gamma… http://furiouscycling.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

After a lot of initial enthusiasm, fuelled by naturally tightness, I'm now in the 'good enough' camp. I'd like something a bit brighter, but without the price tag.

Shoes – after too many sprained ankles I'm really dubious of overcushioned trail shoes. Get low to the ground and get used to it I think. You don't sound injury prone. Favourites at the moment are Mizuno Wave Harriers.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

I like Salomon XA but the grip clogs quickly, although I always have a pair and recently picked up the LAB version, with integral gaiter. For mud Salomon Speedcross 2 has fantastic grip, like Trailrakers for my feet. Also use La Sportiva's Wildcats and Crosslight, ran around Chamonix mainly in Millet Pulsions and La Sportiva Wildcats. Salomon XT wings are good too, the better half has them, along with North Face Arnuva Boa and Millet Veloceraptor. I now realise we have too many runnning shoes to go with the stack of tyres!

I also run a lot in Vibram Five Fingers, great for foot strengthing and technique development. 'Barefooting' is becoming my preferred method of trail running in the local woods, the singlespeeding of running. Just prefer something a bit bulkier for mountain running.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Need a light for xc running’ is closed to new replies.