Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Need a bit of advice on tires for road use on an mtb
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Evening all.The plasterer we use is in training for a triathlon.He wants to know which tiers to chuck on his mtb for road training so he doesn’t have to use his noisy inefficient knobblys.He doesn’t want to spend a fortune.Just something that will do him for a few weeks.I have absolutely no knowledge on this.. 🙁

mefty
    Free Member

schwalbe sport cruiser about £12 each

robhughes
    Free Member

mefty.Your a star.What size bud.Is that the land cruiser.
    Any more anyone… 🙂

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Geax do some cheap 1.3″ slick tyres that work well. Think I got them as a set including inner tubes for ~£25.

mefty
    Free Member

look at UK bike store/Chain reaction – something baldish 1.5 ish or above will do

gmex619
    Free Member

I used city jet 2.2s

I also rode them on dry offroad too. But im kind of stupid.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I’ve got 1.5″ but I’d go for 1.35″ next time. Puncture protection is very good (but not 100%)

Scapegoat

Schwalbe City Jets. 26×1.5 are pretty fast. I have ridden them up Wessenden on a dry day, no issues at mincing pace.

antares
    Free Member

I used some Schwalbe Landcruisers over the winter, fast rolling on the Tarmac but still got some tread if you need to nip off road down a tow path or something similar. Worth checking Amazon for some, I got some used like new for £6.50 each delivered, and they were like new.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Continental Sport Contact 1.3 was my tyre of choice for my long road commute on my MTB.

coatesy
    Free Member

Also worth looking at Schwalbe Speed Cruisers, puncture protected, a more rounded profile than City Jets, and I think they’re a touch lighter too. Most importantly, they look faster too.

spacemonkey

Schwalbe Marathons. Unfortunately they no longer seem to do the exact ones I’ve been using for 2 yrs so check out the others on offer. Loads available.

robhughes
    Free Member

After a wee chat with him today.He said he’d go to £50 for the pair.We must be paying him tooo much. 😀
    Any suggestions in that price range please..

giantonagiant

I’m with Mr P – Conty Sport Contacts.

nick1962
    Free Member

You can get 1 inch wide 26in tyres.Saw some online for under a tenner last week but can’t find the link.Mine cost almost double that from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ritchey-Comp-Tom-Slick-Tyres/dp/B0010W3OZ0/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1363203087&sr=1-1-fkmr2 .
    Running them on Mavic 717 rims no problems.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Schwalbe tabletops, grip like a very grippy thing (on tarmac) but very very fast with it!

Non folding ones should be about 15 quid…

robhughes
    Free Member

Cheers guys…That should do for him.He can take his pick.Thanks…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Need a bit of advice on tires for road use on an mtb’ is closed to new replies.