Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Need a 2nd car – Fiat 500, any experiences?
  • bigdaddy

Hi all – new job for me means much less commuting by bike, and we ow need a 2nd car. We’ve fallen for a Fiat 500, although have not driven it yet – test drive tomorrow. Any thoughts? A good car? Its a 2015 1.2l Lounge model, £4k on the clock…

demonracer

My other half has one, it’s a nice little car. Hers is a 900cc twin air lounge spec though, we both preferred how the two air drove when we tested them so it might be something worth looking at.

marcus7
    Free Member

Had one for 5 years, it’s ok if a bit fragile, exhaust is not the best and the rear shocks are bad for failing, neither are expensive to sort oh and they have the odd electrical gremlins ( rear brake light bulbs… ). Still like it though and its cheap to run.

bigdaddy

That’s a fairly positive start, cheers!

theotherjonv

My wife’s on her second and we’ll be having a third in the summer

Good looking, reliable in our experience, cheap running. Lack poke but that’s not the point of it, enough space for two kids and a dog in the back, and we usually use it for going into town because you can squeeze it into the smallest parking spaces.

Daffy

As above, quite brittle, but fun to drive. I’ve had a Panda 100hp for a few years and have recently had a 500s as a hire car for a few weeks.

It was really quite good fun. I thrashed the thing for 2 weeks, revving it until the valves were dancing on the bonnet and it still returned an average of 49.4mpg (calculated) over 800 miles.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

A friend had one. Low miles a year or so old.

Fragile for sure.

Water pump at 30k, shocks, exhaust.

I wouldn’t.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

My wife has one, an 09 with 40k on it.
    We’ve had it since June, she’s only done 1,000 miles in it and so far it’s had a new battery, new accelerator pedal and the other day the door handle half came off in my hand! (so not the best build quality).
    On the positive side it’s really good to drive quite reminiscent of the old Mini’s handling wise, it certainly feels planted and a lot sturdier than it probably is!
    As mentioned above a doddle to park and very good mpg.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

woman a couple of doors away got one under 1L under guidance from hubby, she hated it as no go, changed for a twin-air which she likes.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

duplicate 🙁

Denzildoorknob
    Free Member

The (old) other half had a twin air convertible from new -great fun to drive with plenty of poke – none twin air version mundane. Boot release failed twice in first 18 months.Apart from that it was reliable all round, clocking up 80k miles over 3 years….

karlsbug
    Free Member

We’ve got an 08 Multijet (Diesel) sport 75,000 miles. It’s had a couple of shocks and top mountings, exhaust, a door handle, injectors and a new clutch. We love it though, its a fun car, and no less reliable than our VW.

tron
    Free Member

Apart from that it was reliable all round, clocking up 80k miles over 3 years….

27K a year in a 500???

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Bough the wife a 2009 1.2 sport. Had for 3 weeks and after 15 various faults not to mention being gutless and struggled up a local steep hill we gave back to dealer.

Maybe a coincide but a elderly couple were also returning a pop version a year newer at the exact same time as us after again similar faults to what ours had with engine light and brakes and lack of power.

Replaced with a mondy titinium x sport never looked back put her off small cars for good. Her c2 vtr was much better than the 500 IMO granted was a 1.6 so more grunt but bought new in 07 did 48k totally faultless not one issue at all and px against the 500.

Another case of fix it again tomorrow just bad experience with fiat in our house. My old 20v T coupe and punto turbo were disasters too.

Tracey

We bought a 1.4 Lounge three and a half years ago for a family runnaround when Katie was 17. 30,000 miles later and its been a great little car. Abigale passed her test last week and she loves it. Lady who had it before us had every extra fitted to it so it also looks good. Abigale just needs to figure out how to get her bike in the back.

unovolo
    Free Member

Father In law had one for a couple of years from new, twas the 1.2l model in base spec(added aircon) never had any issues with it and seemed nice enough if a little low rent inside(once you look past the shiny colour coded plastics), decided to change as he wanted a 5dr car.

Went for a Kia Picanto which he rates as better, more solidly built and better finished and even the lower capacity engine is a match for the 1.2 in the Fiat.

That said just seen one of the facelifted 500’s which do seem a bit nicer inside.

project
    Free Member

ford ka is the same car mechanically just a bigger body it appears

bigdaddy

Thanks for the replies guys. It is the same chassis as and was designed with the ford ka. Nicer than the ka though. We did the test drive this morning and really liked it, so deposit paid! Here’s hoping it’s a good one and doesn’t fall to bits as some of your experiences seem to suggest! My wife liked the ‘city drive’ light steering button too. Seems a fun little car…

bigyim
    Free Member

After working on some the build quality is very poor. I think I’d be looking elsewhere if it was me.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Need a 2nd car – Fiat 500, any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.