Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Neck/head ache after rides
  • ezzy
    Free Member

Hi All
    I know that I am going to be told that this is hugely subjective, but just wondered if anyone else suffers/suffered from headaches/neck pain after rides. I make sure that I’m fully hydrated but find that after I finish riding I end up with a headache which then lasts all day.
    It’s not as if I’m doing anything hardcore, just ST stuff around N Downs, say for 2 to 3 hours. It doesn’t seem to matter if I’m on my hardtail or my full sus.
    As I say, I’m sure that the response will be that it is impossible to say unless someone sees how I’m riding but I haven’t had any comments from regular riding friends so can’t imagine that I’m doing something v wrong.
    I love my riding but this is getting to be a bit of a pain (sorry!).

mrmo
    Free Member

I find i get headaches from overtightening my helmet, from hot weather and not drinking enough, One other possible thing to consider is your head is heavy so it does put stress on your neck and shoulders, which can migrate to a headache.

Suggestions, don’t over tighten the helmet if you have a tightening band on it (i am not talking about the chin strap but rather the cradle that on some helmets allows the fit to be customised)

How well ventilated is your helmet, more vents does make sense even if it isn’t fashionable.

Drink, but do not over drink, over drinking is far far worse than being a bit dehydrated!!!

As for neck ache, a mix of check position and ride more to strengthen the muscles.

stuey
    Free Member

How much are you ‘looking up’ craning your neck back?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robbo
    Free Member

Try taking the peak off your helmet if you are straining your neck up.

ezzy
    Free Member

Thanks, all very helpful. Thinking about it, I wonder if I am ‘looking up’ too much and that is causing the problem.

philstone

I found general de-hydration was causing me headaches – especially if I went out in the morning. I was drinking plenty during a ride but found that ensuring I drank plenty before riding has stopped me getting headaches after rides.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

I had headaches after a day of riding and found adding some salt to a post ride drink has worked. Also in the winter I try to change my top to something dry and wear a beanie on the drive home.

Could also may be helmet’s too tight.

Hope this helps.

hopefiendboy

I used to get exercise related migranes that used to kill a day once I’d been out on the bike or done any sort of reasonable exertion activity for over an hour. This was while I was at uni and it affected me to such an extent I actually gave up mtb/road biking for 2 years. I had conventional migrane drugs but they did not touch the side of the headache I used to get. I tried varying position, intensity, road, mtbing etc but to no avail and instead became a slob for 2 years. Funnily enough I returned to cycling etc after this period and now would only get them if dehydrated etc- just conventionally. The neurologist I had at the time mentioned that it was not too uncommon for people to experience exercised induced migranes and that they can be transitory in nature- thankfully for me this has been the case so far.

Good luck!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Neck/head ache after rides’ is closed to new replies.