Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Neck fracture recovery
  • servo
    Free Member

Had a bike crash 8 weeks ago which left me with a C7 neck fracture 😐
    Did not require any surgery but I had to wear a Miami J brace for the first 6 weeks.

I am now free of the dreaded neck brace and it is all going pretty well. I can move my head nearly normally but am struggling with the head tilted back, which is still sore and blocked from going too far.

There is a lump on the back on my neck where the break was. It is going down slowly.

I can ride the turbo and hold my head up to look forward but it is a strain and I can’t do it for too long.

Anyone had a similar injury and got the full movement back and lump free? 🙂

servo
    Free Member

No one else with a neck vertebrae injury?
    Would be nice to here some positive stories! 🙂

b1galus
    Free Member

broke my neck when a scrum collapsed circa 1983 eight months in a combination of hard then soft collars played rugby again in 84and 85 no real ill effects

travo
    Free Member

I managed to fracture my c1 along with 2 others in my neck and 4 in my back a few years ago, like you, got lucky and had no nerve damage, got out of that bastard j brace and body brace after 6 weeks and was riding again in a week.
    I had to go easy for a bit as I broke my pelvis and a few other things at the same time which caused me more grief than my neck/back.
    I had a few lumps and bumps for a bit but the only real thing I notice now is the fact I’m an inch and a bit shorter than I was before my off.
    Keep exercising and moving and things should get back to normal pretty quickly

shermer75
    Free Member

8 weeks is still early doors really, you need to give it more time before you can expect to be back where you were before the crash.

After 6 weeks of your neck in a brace your neck muscles will be weak (you lose about 1% muscle mass for every 24 hours of non-use).

Not sure what that lump is but the way a bone repairs itself after a fracture is to lay down more bone than is needed to begin with before the excess is slowly removed. This takes about a year.

You might want to see a physio, they can give you more guidance as well as an exercise plan to help you get your neck extension back as pain free and as quickly as possible.

DezB
    Free Member

Mine was C6 or C7, similar to you, after head-butting a tree, maybe not quite as severe (I don’t recall having a collar of shame, but might have blocked it from my memory!). No after effects at all these days. Get stiff neck muscles quite frequently, but I put that down to me age.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Jeez, has everyone on this forum broken their neck or something?

PePPeR

Mine was c7,after having a telephone pole dropped on my head, took about two years of recuperation to get back to decent working again, was paralysed down my right side for 6 weeks and it took two years to get the feeling back in everything on my right side.

servo
    Free Member

All good positive reports here. Sounds like I got off lightly compared to some. Everyone back to normal eventually which is great to hear.

Doctor at fracture clinic did not recommend physio as he said they can be too aggressive sometimes. I do try and use it as much as possible. I will see how I go and maybe get some exercises to do.

Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Neck fracture recovery’ is closed to new replies.