Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Neck braces…
  • passtherizla
    Free Member

After being freaked out by stories told by the lifty at revo abnd having a few bad crashes have been wondering about these…. read hundreds of reports online etc. I am going pretty quick in close proximity of trees and rocks and stuff so it can only be a good idea right???

klunky
    Free Member

Neck braces can potentially increase brain trauma in head impacts.
    No I independant tests have ever been done on neck braces to suggest which one work well and which don’t etc.

Probably still a good idea but that’s the negative

beicmynydd
    Free Member

There was a good article on pink bike in 2009 here is a link http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Leatt-neck-brace-review-2009.html

As a few years have gone by since it would be interesting to see any follow up research,

I regularly use a leat brace as I feel that on balance it could make a difference, there is also a lot written in the motocross forums etc.

the only downside I feel is that when falling it’s hard to curl up and roll and absorb some of the inertia, feels more like a missile. having said that I have landed on my head and the brace did seem to transfer the force to my shoulders.

It would be interesting to hear some anecdotal evidence from the medical profession.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the article is a very good one especially where it points out the dangers of falling off/over with one and no helmet one. Considering the number of people I see messing round on bikes at races etc. with just their neck brace on.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’ve ordered one… Made use of the extra 10% at crc still £270 though ouch.

JCL
    Free Member

They limit the heads rotation in impacts. They MUST do something.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I know 3 people who have broken their necks (damaged vertebrae) biking.A neck brace would’nt have made any difference to their injury.

passtherizla
    Free Member

interesting rorschach… how do they know if they weren’t wearing one?

ric2020
    Free Member

An interesting read from a medical professional

null

But as already stated, no proper independent medical research done, so read all you can, try and filter the BS, and make your own decision.

duir
    Free Member

I really liked my Leatt Brace for for full on downhill on my full on downhill bike. With some light SASTEC spinal armour, full face and knee pads, I felt I had the best protection without overdoing it. It certainly gave me loads more confidence at high speed at Fort William and I came to the conclusion that they definitely would save your neck but it’s all just personal preference.

I would never bother with a neck brace for anything but full on downhill as it would be hideous for all day riding etc.

torihada
    Free Member

I wear a LEATT neck brace for DH days, with FF and pressure suit. With the pressure suit I hope the forces from impact on the neck brace will dissipate through the sternum guard or spinal protector as well as stopping my head & neck extending beyond its normal working parameters (i.e. snapping). Its what I’m happy with.

As ric2020 said ignore all the BS and try and find some balanced views to make your own personal choice: in the end its inconvenience/discomfort vs risk. That’s un-quantifiable.

jam-bo

Didn’t see many watching the WC coverage from fort William earlier, including some that I’m sure used too wear them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Neck braces…’ is closed to new replies.