Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • NEBOSH certificate
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few construction engineering types on here over the years. Anyone have any views on NEBOSH certificate? Not working right now and thinking about doing it.

rugbydick

What are your plans to do with it, once you’ve got it?
    I’d see it as the first step towards a career in health and safety (it was my first step…)

If it’s just for a bit more H&S knowledge in the construction industry, something like one of the IOSH Managing Safely courses could be better suited (and probably cheaper too).

Bedds
    Free Member

NEBOSH do the certificate (a non specific, across the board type of safety training course)

and

THe NEBSOH Construction Certificate, which is specifically designed for the construction industry

Both are good, it depends on what you want to set as your end point, these courses will set you up for a safety advisors position

matt23
    Free Member

Just started doing my NEBOSH – Facilities/H&S Officer for a call centre. Depends on what you want to do with the NEBOSH but for me looking at a career in Facilities & ‘elf n safety its ideal.

As mentioned by Bedds if you are looking to the construction side of H&S it best to do the NEBOSH Construction version.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Certificate in Construction Health and Safety

This is the one I was thinking. I mostly work abroad so I had considered the international certificate, but I head that doesn’t really help you for the UK, so better to do national and take it abroad.

Until Jan I was a Heavy Lift Super, thinking about heading into safety more though. I don’t think it’s a bad qual to have either way though, especially to fill this current gap.

northshoreniall

I’m finishing NCG1 (1st module – all the regs/ law bits) at moment and find it an irrelevant/ outdated method of assessing. You are expected to recall aspects of legislation etc when in reality in day to day use you would consult reference material for this as needed, or even just google it!
    I also find looking at past papers they have a way of asking questions which do not illict the answer they expect or want. Then when you read the NOBOSH exam feedback papers they have a way of almost sneering at students responses for not providing the correct answer. Can you tell I can’t wait to do exam at end of month? 🙂

fourbanger
    Free Member

Glad to hear all that as I just booked it! lol
    Any positive aspects?

northshoreniall

Think my main problem is I finished an Occ Health degree back end last year so may have set my expectations higher than needed 🙂 I’m doing as work had end of year budget to dispose of, and looks good for c.v. purposes, get me out of work an hour early on wednesdays until September.

From what I pick up second module better as more relatable to risks/ hazards in workplace making bit easier to sit through. Apparently if you can get head around answering questions how they want them then it’s not too hard to do well.

Sandwich

You are expected to recall aspects of legislation etc when in reality in day to day use you would consult reference material for this as needed, or even just google it!

Not always possible if you go mobile as a consultant in construction. Some of the places I visited were devoid of anything but GPRS as a connection method and the PC won’t allow you to use his/her broadband (it does happen). Also you’ll look an arse if you attempt that while being interviewed by HSE, or dealing with a bolshy site supervisor.

snownrock

Fourbanger, I can send you the course material/notes (electronic copies) from when I did the course if you want. Can stick them on Dropbox.

northshoreniall

For my role Sandwich have access to computer all time – guess I’m lucky in my area of work, and I have most of HSE website resources dumped on my Kindle which comes everywhere for reference if needed. I would never be asked to provide definitive written report on the spot by any clients I work with thankfully 🙂

Thankfully to date have had no HSE interview, but after have NEBOSH cert done will lose that excuse.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve been booked on an IOSH course through work, whats the difference between the two?

fourbanger
    Free Member

snownrock, that would be really useful.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘NEBOSH certificate’ is closed to new replies.