Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Neat, secure solution for a car key fob on the bike?
  • honourablegeorge

Don’t liek to carry anything in pockets, becasue I invariably fall on them and either embed them in my leg/back, or crush and damage them. I know I could just tape it, but mid and water are an issue, and a typical saddlebag won’t suit a DH bike.

SO I need something (esp on DH bike for uplift days) that will securely and watterproofly (it’s a word, I swear) store a key fob – any suggestions?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pockets being the easiest one, small saddle bag, cord round the neck?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In yer Camelbak!

iainc

Same place as your spare tube and multitool ?

Jamie
    Free Member

shifter
    Free Member

In a zip-lok bag inside Camelbak.

njee20
    Free Member

And if you’re not carrying a Camelbak and really insist on not using pockets/saddle bag – ziploc bad gaffa taped to seat post or sommat.

brokenbanjo

Get a cock ring and clip to that.

Jamie
    Free Member

The other option is to stash it near the car in a waterproof container.

jekkyl

In a freezer bag zip tied to the frame or the brake line.

stoney
    Free Member

There are plenty of nooks and crannies arround the car bodywork that you could hide a key!(i don`t just mean on top/inside a wheel) 😉

I do…. 💡

honourablegeorge

Normally wear a camelbak, but uplifts I tend not to – zip ties and bags work, but I’ll occasionally nip back to the car for a tube/drink/money so needs to be reusable.

Have a lanyard, but not ideal, and not a waterproof solution on manky days.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well you are probably going round in circles….

Key in the pocket wrapped up in a cloth to avoid impact

Drac

Reusable zip tie.

Or just your pocket and stop worrying about it.

chip
    Free Member

I used to wear my key on a lanyard around my neck when I ran but worried on the bike if I crashed I would get up and find it embedded in my chest.

There is a plastic carabiner type clip in the top pocket of my camelbak and I clip it to that,
    That way it can’t drop out unknowingly when rooting around for pies or if I don’t zip the pocket closed properly.

maccruiskeen

not a waterproof solution on manky days.

I’d not worry to much. I’ve put a ford key/fob through the wash and it worked fine afterwards.

Klunk
    Free Member

there some real tiny saddle bags out there or one of those tri grazing bags that sit behind the stem on the top tube.

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve got a plain dumb (no remote, no immobiliser) key for outdoor swimming on a bit of string. Let’s me open the door and glove box where the proper key is. You could get one cut and cable tie it to the bike or drop it in the sear tube.

aracer
    Free Member

The other option is to stash it near the car in a waterproof container.

Plastic bag works, and this is the option I often use – not generally hard to find a place you’ll remember but nobody else will find. Though as mentioned above, car keys are fairly waterproof anyway, and one option is to get a blank cut with no electronics inside.

TiRed

I pin mine inside a back pocket. If I crash, I’m more worried about it being thrown clear than stabbing me. My road race suit has a neat “phone” pocket behind the collar, so just the key goes in that. If riding with a rucksack, then it is clipped inside an inner pocket.

nach
    Free Member

muddodger
    Free Member

just came back from a holiday in Newquay, wondered what the combination things were that were fixed to a few car in a car park, seems it was one of these
    If all the above solutions don’t appeal to you, this might.

Badger
    Free Member

I stick mine inside my seat post.

Take out seat post from frame.
    Insert key (which admittedly is fairly small) into bottom of seatpost
    Insert rolled up bit of old inner tube to plug the end and stop if falling out
    Put seat post back in frame.
    Go ride.

No way you can loose it that way and no nasty key embedding in flesh issues!

Badger

Badger
    Free Member

heard of others on a road ride putting a key in their water bottle in the bottle mount of the frame …. but then I’m not sure that’s going to work if you have a key that has remote buttons to open the doors etc!

jam-bo

came back from a holiday in Newquay, wondered what the combination things were that were fixed to a few car in a car park

Utterly useless is what they are. Can be broken into in about 2s flat and don’t expect your insurance company to be paying out…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Neat, secure solution for a car key fob on the bike?’ is closed to new replies.