• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Neat commuter mudguards needed?
  • dbcooper
    Free Member

Need some 700c mudguards that can deal with 32mm tyres or wider?
    Small and smart and sturdy?
    Any recommendations?

thomthumb
    Free Member

sks chromoplastics.

duckeee
    Free Member

Another +1 for chromoplastics.
    Fit and forget, not too heavy and available in a variety of widths.

flashes
    Free Member

Freshtripe stock these;

VO 45mm Hammered Polished Mudguards

Full-length – Fits 700c and 27” wheels with

tyres up to 35mm wide – Pre-drilled

All Fixings included (5mm alloy stays)

£50.00 GBP

http://www.freshtripe.co.uk/freshtripe/Mudguards%20%26%20Racks.html

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tortec reflector guards maybe? They seem identical to the chromoplastic but have a big reflective stripe down each side, which is nice if commuting. They do 27 to 35, and 36 to 44 sizes. Neat enough.

TiRed

Snapped my second rear SKS P35 last week. Might refit the Tortec with the SKS fittings. Or blow it and order the PDW fenders. I’m still a fan of SKS, but the rear mudguard is a little susceptible to stress fractures.

STATO
    Free Member

Metal ones se like a good idea, then you knock it and it’s never the same. Or you catch it on something and it deforms rather than springing out the way. Look really nice tho.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My Blackburn Cloudburst’s are nice.

somafunk

Quite impressed with my PDW city mudguards, very secure and no rattles, bonus points for clearance over 40mm tyres on my tripster.

I used sks chromoplastics before but i managed to break the rear mudguard – i guess they are not designed for the type of terrain i was riding over but apart from that they were pretty good, kinda fiddly to fit and bend the stays for clearance on disc brakes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

but the rear mudguard is a little susceptible to stress fractures.

Best stay away from the Crud ones then, the SKS seem bomb proof by comparison!

paddy0091
    Free Member

been using SKS and TORTEC for years on the winter bikes. Both equally well made and solid. TORTEC include the nice reflective strips though so would probably recommend those

wiggles
    Free Member

SKS chromoplastics ftw, mine have withstood many crashes and work great.

looneylunn
    Free Member

A friend of mine makes carbon fibre mudguards in the spare time between making bikes.. Very nice they are too!

https://www.facebook.com/SwarfCycles

TiRed

Oh, I’ve tried SKS, Crud, Tortec. Crud were rubbish, Tortec fittings were not the best, but the plastics are robust – don’t like the reflective strip either! SKS P35s fit well and have the best fittings, but the rear snaps at the brake bridge after a few 1000 miles.

Will be putting the Tortecs back on using the SKS fittings.

I’m also a fan of Raceblade longs too, but the Kona is a dedicated mudguards all the time bike.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Neat commuter mudguards needed?’ is closed to new replies.