Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Nearly killed a youth on a bike!
  • pingu66
    Free Member

I was driving home paying attention etc within the speed limit all was good the sun was shining etc. All of a sudden one of two lads on bikes decides he can ride across the road before I get to where he is, unfortunately he judged it all wrong and I had to stop quickly to avoid hitting him. His mate stayed on the pavement. It was just straight across the road in front of me.

Its not the first time its happened and I am pretty sure they don’t even look as I have seen them ride straight out of the local park and across the road before today.

On this occasion I missed them but the way some ride its only a matter of time before a tragedy happens. Seeing how some ride I would feel for the motorist but would we all jump to it being the motorists fault. I felt pretty terrible at the thought of what was a close shave but literally 2 possibly 3 seconds difference could have been tragic.

Junkyard
    Free Member

LAst week i skidded to an full on emergency stop [ from about 12 mph] to avoid an unbraked yoof on a trials bike who shot a junction blind.

Kids innit though

garage-dweller

Pingu. Not just the yoof. Out of control mobility scooter crossing the other carriageway bounced over the central reservation and straight into my path. Thankfully it looked a bit wild on the other side so I had eased off before it literally bounced into my path. Not that close but could have been nasty if I hadnt seen him coming. At least he apologised.

My ‘favorite’ yoof cycling moment was going left out of a supermarket onto a 40mph dual carriageway to come face to face with a young gentleman on a BSO riding the wrong way up the carriageway round the almost blind exit from said supermarket.

LoCo
    Free Member

Met some bloke riding round a blind corner on a national speed limit road on the wrong side of the road last week, just missed :-/

5thElefant
    Free Member

Roo bars.

pingu66
    Free Member

Its not just me then, I looked at everything I could have done but literally there is nothing apart from pray you can hit the brakes in time. Really shook me up how close it was. Not even as if we don’t pay attention and try to anticipate cyclists, give them space, anticipating hazards is one thing people on bikes flying out of gates straight across roads is challenging. I don’t want to get into the argument they aren’t cyclists etc.

LoCo
    Free Member

Proper filed my pants it was that close, with my one took a while to calm down after I got home, it was that close

scaredypants

a mate of mine collected one at a crossroads in nottingham.
    He was waiting at the lights when a kid on a BMX came down the steps of the pedestrian walkway/flyover, hit the wing of the car and flew into the middle of the road (no passing cars, lucky lad)

I was about a tenth of a second from killing a lad on the A6 through Stockport once. 2 pissed lads ran across the road in front of me and then one of them fell back flat onto his back just as my car went past him. I’m shaking my head now, wondering how I didn’t catch him

retro83
    Free Member

Saw a young lady nearly go under a coach outside Australia house in london on a Boris bike today.

Coach going approx 20 mph through junction, two young lads come zipping past at full pelt in front of it from round the sharp corner, clear it with about 10 meters or so, then 5 secs later a girl comes round much slower and goes directly in front of it. She didn’t seem to even acknowledge it! No steering correction, braking or even looking at it. I just think she didn’t even look at what was coming. 😯 don’t know how she missed it to be honest, all the peds did that collective sucking through the teeth thing, thinking she was going under

coatesy
    Free Member

They’re not all lucky, I was sat in traffic when a young lad on a BMX rode in front of me, straight into an oncoming car, no chance of avoiding an accident. A fractured skull’s not a pleasant way to learn about road safety.

bland

My wife and I had to scrape one up off the floor once after he did the same a min before we got there! Not pretty and he was a right mess, I’m not even sure if he pulled through!

What got me was when his mother turned up, she took one quick look at him and then started on the poor driver who was in a state of shock after having a kid dive in front of his car!

nick1962
    Free Member

Kids innit though

Don’t blame da yoof!
    Yesterday saw what looked like an experienced roadie guy in his 50s who thought it wold be alright to cut from the inside lane onto a mini roundabout right across in front of a very large white van without indicating or even looking over his shoulder and then bizarrely stop halfway round trackstanding while he pondered what exit to take.Fortunately all the drivers on the roundabout had their wits about them.Stupidity is not a preserve of the young.

yunki
    Free Member

no militant cyclists on yet to call you a murderous swine and defend the lad’s right to ride the wrong way up the motorway if he chooses..?

simmy
    Free Member

Had a close one the other day with some idiot on a road bike.

Whilst we was going round a roundabout, this imbecile thought he could beat us so he came flying on from our left only to not see the car at the side of us as it was a 2 lane roundabout. He passed our bonnet but slammed on inbetween the lanes as the car in the other lane was going faster.

He ended up with us going either side of him. My Cool calm manner was lost at that point and I shouted at him to ” use your ******* eyes” 😳

I don’t normally shout at people, but that was just ridiculous.

andytherocketeer

Some dumb blonde on a bike just decided to ignore the red pedestrian crossing sign and just amble across 5 lanes of traffic (red for all of them too), and 2 tram lines (not red whatsoever).

Emergency stop in a tram from about 40km/h is significant. I’d estimate approximately the width of about 5 lanes.

Dumb blonde was missed by less than the width of the pedestrian crossing, then just carried on her merry way totally oblivious.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

i’ve had a few over the years. In all cases, in the dark,riders wearing dark colours / black, with no lights or reflectors or anything darting out of alleys or side roads on very badly lit roads, in heavy rain etc. How could you feel safe with No lights covered head to toe in black, in such conditions? Seen adults with reasonable bikes do this too, riding on the roads.

One to remember also is to make sure that you rear light isn’t covered by baggy jackets or panniers . bags etc.. as some are. They must think that they are visable even though for the most part their rear lights are useless. Always good to use two in different positions.

globalti
    Free Member

I was in London last week for the Stones concert and came back to Lancashire with a much clearer understanding of why cyclists are so hated. I saw several examples of downright rude, stupid and aggressive riding as well as the usual pavement riding , RLJs, etc.

pingu66
    Free Member

I travel a lot in London and I must say that firstly there are a lot more cyclists than where I live, secondly many do jump red lights and cruise through crossings, ride on pavements etc. I think the unfortunate thing there is you notice the idiots rather than the good cyclists so they are all tarred with the same brush.

singletrackmind

Me too , following a teenager on a road bike waiting for a gap in the standing traffic to overtake . Dumb lad just pulls a U turn right in front of me . He had ridden past the right hand turn he wanted so just veered across the road .
    Had to do a quick stop to avoid running into the side of him.
    Idiot.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The MAMILS round here are a bit terrifying, then again the kids keep popping in and out of the side of the road then just cut across.

Too many seem to have a death wish

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Nearly killed a youth on a bike!’ is closed to new replies.