Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • nearly hit a cyclist on the way back tonight
  • spchantler
    Free Member

were you this idiot? on my way home from dewsbury to halifax this evening at about 5pm, approaching a cross roads, with a car coming in the opposite direction, a guy on a hybrid sort of a bike shot across the main carriageway right in front of us both, without slowing. both i and the other driver had right of way, and were travelling at about 40 mph. this guy approached his stop sign, had a quick glance either way, and just went for the gap. if he’d had a mechanical or something, wet roads….what a tool. just goes to show, idiots are all around. if this is what its going to be like, with cycling getting more popular…well.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

if this is what its going to be like, with cycling getting more popular…well

….get on your bike and join in!

The less cars on the roads, the better.

burt
    Free Member

STRAVAAAAAAAAAA

Muke
    Free Member

had a quick glance either way

That’s unusual in itself

misterfrostie
    Free Member

STRAVAAAAAAAAAA

😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

I usually have to swerve several times in a vain effort to run down the slippery little barstewards….I’ll get ya,you goddamn bunch of communist hippies.

Jamie
    Free Member

STRAVAAAAAAAAAA

😀

jonba
    Free Member

SMIDSY – honest mistake, happens to all of us, perfectly acceptable.

spchantler
    Free Member

….get on your bike and join in!

The less cars on the roads, the better.if i could get all my tools and materials on the bike, i would.

STRAVAAAAAAAAAA

surely its not worth getting killed for?

burt
    Free Member

somebody in usa already has and i hope to god i’m wrong but it wont be long before it happens here.

igm

I’ve just been filling in a witness statement for the police regarding a car-cyclist rapid interface I saw a couple of weeks ago.
    Cyclist going straight on holding a straight line; car turning left cleaned him out.

Thankfully he walked away – not cycled you note his bike was a little out of sorts.

Chilling.

higgo
    Free Member

About 5 years ago, I was driving home late one night on an unlit country road. I’d gone through a small hamlet (~10 houses) so there was a pavement on the left hand side for a bit. A kid (I assume) in dark clothes on a dark BMX with no lights hopped off the kerb right in front of me.

How I didn’t hit him/her, I’ll never know. It scared the shit out of me but, as I calmed down, I was mighty relieved I didn’t have to come on here and start a thread “I killed a cyclist tonight”.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Blimey, how many times is this type of thing going to happen? It’s fewer cars, fewer!! 🙂

Cougar

Kid on a bike tried to throw himself under my car earlier tonight.

I was driving out of Tesco carpark, and a black teenager wearing a black hoodie and black trousers, riding a black trials bike tried to achieve escape velocity across a pedestrian crossing right in front of me. But for the crossing having white stripes on it to provide a bit of contrast I’d have added a few splashes of red and brown to his monochromatic ensemble. Tool.

Taff
    Free Member

Ha! As soon as I read this I thought Strava too! Where I live you’re better off aiming for them!!

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Cyclists are utter scum, they really are.

There seem to be quite a few of them on this 4×4 consumer review forum for some reason though.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

When I was a teenager I would run red lights, hop on and off curbs, bomb hills at 40+ mph all on a bmx with no brakes. I imagine kids are still doing the same today, this in some incarnation will probably never end. Cyclists are not a group who all act and think the same way, neither are motorists. The cyclist vs motorists argument, mainly fought on youtube comments, is hilarious in its ridiculousness.

Pook

cougar, did you not notice the purple box of milk tray under his arm?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no one in here would ever admit to it, they would start a thread suggesting you aimed for them though 🙂

Bad cycling is like bad driving – down to the person not the mode of transport.

nickjb
    Free Member

both i and the other driver had right of way

🙄

scaredypants

nickjb – Member
    both i and the other driver had right of way
    🙄

Yeah, brother – stick it to the man. Do what you want, they’re only lines on a road.

oh, yeah, forgot: 🙄

nickjb
    Free Member

No, I was referring to the misuse of ‘right of way’. A right of way is is legally granted access, like a public footpath, not some divine right to ignore (or hit) all other road user because you have priority.

jamiep
    Free Member

No, I was referring to the misuse of ‘right of way’. A right of way is is legally granted access, like a public footpath, not some divine right to ignore (or hit) all other road user because you have priority.

🙄

scaredypants

I know what you were referring to – the divine right to expect everyone else to look out for road users who take the piss

Never mind legality, “right of way” is a convention that (mostly) avoids crashes and gridlock at junctions because everyone should know how to behave there

(of course neither of us was there, so I’m assuming that events were as described and that the margin for error was as narrow as the OP suggests)

OP had “right of way”, clearly saw the tit on his bike and had to prepare to avoid him. Maybe had to brake a bit in which case, as we all know, there’s potential for some other arse somewhere behind to fail to see this and cause a crash. Maybe his attention was drawn to the cyclist and he might not have properly notice some other hazard as a result. Maybe the bike/car behind the tit just follows on, safe in the “knowledge” that the road was clear

Try almost any thread where riders get knocked off – are they all idiots for misinterpreting “right of way”?

Those Dutch junctions with the inbuilt ambiguity sound great, but that’s not what we have on our roads. One individual introducing it is stupid.

nickjb
    Free Member

Try almost any thread where riders get knocked off – are they all idiots for misinterpreting “right of way”?

Funnily enough the’Knocked off my bike today’ thread on the first page is the opposite. The poster had priority (or ‘right of way’ as you trollingly call it 🙄 ), suspected the driver would ignore that fact but took a chance which didn’t end well.

As a cyclist I generally expect the worst, assume everyone will pull out, etc, so I watch every junction, even those where you have priority. Car drivers tend not to do this and assume a ‘right of way’ when they are on the main carriageway, which is a shame.

djglover
    Free Member

Sounds like he judged it about right?

What was the speed limit?

scaredypants

Highway Code – Member
    The approach to a junction may have a ‘Give Way’ sign or a triangle marked on the road. You MUST give way to traffic on the main road when emerging from a junction with broken white lines across the road.

You’re right nick, I shouldn’t troll and use terms that don’t exist. What I meant was “Party to whom way should have been given/ceded”. I can see how I’ve upset you.

As a cyclist I generally expect the worst, assume everyone will pull out, etc, so I watch every junction, even those where you have priority.

I think we all do but then from our point of view it would be potentially damaging or fatal for us not to. Regardless, OP (a nasty driver) saw the cyclist approach and was prepared to aviod him, so was at least “as good as you” in that aspect

Funnily enough the’Knocked off my bike today’ thread on the first page is the opposite. The poster had priority (or ‘right of way’ as you trollingly call it ), suspected the driver would ignore that fact but took a chance which didn’t end well

Indeed it is different, and Dez is beating himself up a bit over it. Many are at least implicitly reminding him that he was (“legally”/conventionally) not at fault.

duckman

nickjb – Member

So what you are saying is that the car driver was in the right? And the guy on the bike in the wrong…But you are taking issue with him anyway because he used the phrase right of way? Away back under your bridge.

devs
    Free Member

I was 300 yards from home the other day, pushing hard to get a good time. As I passed the local skate park, out the corner of my eye I spotted a young lad drop off the park and down the grass banking but then carry on to the raised kerb on the (seldom used) road I was on. He hopped off that right into my path. I locked up and managed to drift just out of his way. He shat his pants. I called him a **** idiot and rode off. I’m confused as to who I should hate though as we’re both cyclists. BMXers, that’s it BMXers suck.

nickjb
    Free Member

So what you are saying is that the car driver was in the right? And the guy on the bike in the wrong

Am I? Both parties made a judgment call (the driver assumed they didn’t need to slow at the junction, the cyclist assumed there was space to pull out) and nothing happened so maybe they were both right.

alex222
    Free Member

no one in here would ever admit to it[b]riding a hybrid sort of a bike[/b]

philconsequence
    Free Member

or ‘right of way’ as you trollingly call it

i’ve never met a driving instructor, policeperson or driver who hasn’t referred to it as ‘right of way’, i suggest that you’re the troll in this situation. it’s like picking on somebody for referring to an SMS as a ‘text message’ because you know the boring term that nobody uses anymore. well done for causing friction on a thread for no reason.

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s not about semantics or being factually correct, its about attitude. ‘Right of way’ means some thing very different to ‘priority’ to me. If you thinks it’s trolling I’ll leave it there.

WackoAK
    Free Member

and were travelling at about 40 mph

What was the speed limit on the road?

Peyote
    Free Member

It’s not about semantics or being factually correct, its about attitude. ‘Right of way’ means some thing very different to ‘priority’ to me.

Yeah, I was taught this ‘back in the day’ when I learnt to drive, and more recently during cycle instructor raining. Right of way I believe is a legal definition, i.e. a legal right. Whereas priority is more behavioural, i.e. a bit more flexibility not necessarily enforcable in al situations.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’ve heard priority too, makes more sense than right of way and from a legal point of view would make sense for ‘ROW’ to drop out of usage from driving. just seemed a bit confrontational to accuse another forum member of trolling for using it when it such a commonly used term by the general public.

apologies from me if my post came across harsher than it sounded in my head

djglover
    Free Member

What was the speed limit on the road?

Yes, my thoughts excatly, It would be interesting for the OP to point out the location on google maps as my guess is both cars were speeding well over the speed limit and the cyclist misjudged

rewski
    Free Member

were you this idiot?

yes, sorry the other car flashed me to cross, I assumed you saw him, can I ask why you were doing 40mph in a 30mph area?*

*reenactment of a possible scenario

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘nearly hit a cyclist on the way back tonight’ is closed to new replies.