Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Nearest steep hills to Manchester?
  • hora
    Free Member

There isn’t really is there. Its either Peak District, Calderdale way etc?

athy62
    Free Member

Holme Moss is hardly a million miles away.

GregMay
    Free Member

Jutland Street.

It’s steep. It’s a hill.

simondbarnes

You’re right, there are no steep hills near Manchester. The surrounding area is completely flat :-/

portlyone

Jutland is also cobbled for that Flanders effect. And right outside my office.

hora
    Free Member

Nearest. How far is Holme Moss?…

Marple area is the nearest?

aazlad
    Free Member

Saddleworth’hin probably the closest area. Choice of several including Isle of Skye, Nant Sarah’s Marsden Cutting and Holme Moss can be added to a loop including those.

fubar
    Free Member

Holme Moss isn’t ‘steep’ anyhow (not in my book anyhow). Ramsbottom Rake is pretty close but never done it myself.

portlyone

Handforth has a bumpy bit.

hora
    Free Member

Ah. So if I ride out from Trafford through Ashton Under Lyne and up (its for a pre darkness evening ride)

portlyone

Werneth Low is testing too.

richardthird

Get yerself an os map (or online) and seek out double chevrons. Put that otherwise wasted time sitting on the bog to good use 😀

danreilly
    Free Member

Steep as in steep or steep as in steep and long?

There’s **** loads either way.

hora
    Free Member

Werneth Low, Marple -ok. So I need to put together a post-work loop.

Where to start from? Or ride out.

Steep as in steep. I can spin on the flat country lanes easily from my house but literally its flat from South Manchester.

hora
    Free Member

I could drive out to Horwich and do loops Horwich to Belmont and round then vice versa.

edward2000
    Free Member

The question asked somewhat presents a juxtaposition

julians
    Free Member

I’m guessing you mean road hills?

Bakestonedale road out of pott shrigley or blaze hill also out of pott shrigley.

Ride out to Poynton, assuming you’re coming from the a6 direction, at the funny roundabout, turn left, past waitrose, and stay on this road, up a small hill, over the middlewood way, keep going under a railway bridge, up a steep but short hill, keep going to the end of the road, turn left at the end of the road, keep going for a mile or so and you get to bakestone dale road , go up here, steepish and long, all the way to the end turn right, carry on for a couple of miles and then turn right down blaze hill.

or do it the other way round, and go up blaze hill and down bakestonedale road (the harder direction IMO)

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Macc Forest/Goyt/Windgather ain’t all that far away. Plenty of lumps round there.

hora
    Free Member

^ Its a post work spin so (currently) it gets dark at 8pm and I need a rear light to travel further. So it’d be reachable from here circa 5.30pm – finish by 8 currently.

crazy-legs

Get the train out from Piccadilly to Hope.
    Ride home via Mam Nick (or Winnats), Sparrowpit, Slackhall, Wash, Eccles Pike, Whaley Bridge, Disley (voia the little back road over Lane Ends), Disley, Marple Ridge.

And then whatever way home from Marple is best for you.

Last minute training now isn’t going to help for Sunday you know!

portlyone

Double chevrons and a pub with a view of the Manchester basin 🙂

chris85
    Free Member

Chew valley,greenfield, loads of mega steep stuff

hora
    Free Member

Crazy-legs, aye Im ****. That Virus has left me open to death 😀

Tomorrow riding Hudds-Outlane-Scapegoat-Slaithwate-Marsden-Farnley Tyas-Bradley then up to Outlane

maxtorque

why not just fit a 24″ wheel on the back, a 29er on the front, and set you brakes to bind on a bit? That way, everywhere you ride will feel like a steep hill?

(you can thank me later for this AMAZEBALLS idea…… 😉

dazh
    unovolo
    Free Member

Monks Road above is a good un, Also Cowlishaw Road up to Werneth Low from Romiley is steep go over the top and drop down Joel lane turn right at the bottom and ride for about 1.5miles turn right onto Apple Street and let us know how you get on(Lets just say the last bit you will struggle walking up)

monksie
    Free Member

Stockport town centre has a couple of short, steep climbs if you’re wanting to do a few up and downs. Monks Road is a bugger. I can get up Winnats but I didn’t get up that bitch!. I have a very quick ‘cross bike hill climb circuit from my front door in Marple which involves Brabyn’s Brow, Mellor and Lakes Road.
    My commute from Trafford Park is pan flat until I cross the Manchester / Stockport border (at Didsbury/Heaton Moor) and then it immediately gets lumpy .

robdob
    Free Member

Tomorrow riding Hudds-Outlane-Scapegoat-Slaithwate-Marsden-Farnley Tyas-Bradley then up to Outlane

If you want steeper hills just do that in the opposite direction. Slaithwaite to scapegoat hill is a pretty steep one (but not the steepest on that hill!).

binners

Easy there Contador. I just rode up Doghouse Lane out of Todmorden this afternoon. It was really ****ing steep!!!

You can come and ride up and down our road if you fancy. That’s a 25% gradient. It’s got a handrail. Steep enough?

peakyblinder
    Free Member

I just drove through bakestonedale road coming back from the garden centre near poynton. Loads of roadies out there this evening.

hora
    Free Member

Cheers for Monks rd chaps. The lighter evenings will mean Ive got more time to play with. Robdob I might try and vary my route actually ..

Although I love that back road down the ICI works so will probably be able to just reverse my route completely.

Binners the next time I visit Rammy I’ll be swinging by. Its been too long. Lifebackontrack.com 🙂

stevemakin

SwissHill, Artists Lane, The Wizard all lead to Alderly Edge

not mega steep but good enough if you try hard

mrchrispy

just wrote pretty much the same reply stevenmakin but the ipad lost it.
    its a decent run out from outway Hora via didsbury/cheadle

if you are feeling strong there is 10mile TT that takes in brickworks, wind gatherer, dead mans hill and finihes at the bottom of the brickworks. its chuffin hard and I seem to have dropped out the top 10 on strava – thats my goal this year 🙂

xherbivorex
    Free Member

I could drive out to Horwich and do loops Horwich to Belmont and round then vice versa.

yeah, but don’t do that. i moved here to escape you…

Bunnyhop

Hora – I’ve been last minute training too, around Marple.
    Off road – up Linnets Clough
    Up Strawberry hill (Shielan). We call the next left hander surprise hill, as you round the bend it just goes steeper still.
    Up Neilds way (from The Fox Inn)
    Up Castle Edge road and back up Lakes road. All up hill then to our house.

Bregante

yeah, but don’t do that. i moved here to escape you…

😆

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Nearest steep hills to Manchester?’ is closed to new replies.