Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Near Miss Project – diarise your close calls
  • brooess
    Free Member

Just seen this on Roadcc. I think they’re onto something here – it’s the near misses and deliberate aggression rather than actual crashes and injuries which are underpinning the fear which is the biggest barrier to greater takeup of cycling…

Well worth getting involved if it helps provide some empirical evidence which we can beat policymakers around the head with!

The Near Miss Project studies cycling incidents that don’t result in injuries, but may profoundly influence people’s experiences and behaviours

Cycling near misses happen, but we know little about where and why. Help us study, raise awareness and prevent them by filling out the One Day Diary, and answering a few questions about a day’s worth of cycle trips.

Near Miss Project

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Saw it on twitter a few minutes ago and signed up…

cookeaa

Interesting that it’s only running from 20th Oct to 2nd Nov, two weeks as the weather most likely worsens and days are shortening…

TBH I’d prefer it if they took reports for an entire year before attempting to draw any conclusions simply because I believe the seasons do have an impact on driver/cyclist interactions

jam-bo

one mans near miss is another’s ‘meh’.

how will they normalise the results?

cookeaa

one mans near miss is another’s ‘meh’.

how will they normalise the results?

Indeed, I’d even say that over time people’s perception of a near miss changes, I’m probably more towards the “Meh” end of the scale these days than I used to be…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

TBH I’d prefer it if they took reports for an entire year before attempting to draw any conclusions simply because I believe the seasons do have an impact on driver/cyclist interactions…

Every study has flaws, but some data is better than no data. Perfection is the enemy of the good and all that..

I’ve signed up.

brooess
    Free Member

I’m probably more towards the “Meh” end of the scale these days than I used to be…

Sadly, I think I’ve got so used to lousy driving that I’m trying to ignore it so I can enjoy the ride. If you got upset by every near miss you’d have a breakdown!

But this is also true:

Every study has flaws, but some data is better than no data. Perfection is the enemy of the good and all that..

The more empirical evidence to demonstrate our anecdotal experience, the better to bring about behavioural change/force the legislators to rise above their own prejudices

cookeaa

Hmmm… I guess on balance I should sign up and log anything I consider to be a close call…

But I do think they should run further similar logging sessions at other points throughout the year…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

My nominated day was yesterday. Seemed to be day of a thousand arseholes in London yesterday, so plenty to tell them, but jeez, filling the details in on their website is soon tedious!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Near Miss Project – diarise your close calls’ is closed to new replies.