Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • NE riders – Anyone doing the TLI Northumbria Road Races?
  • jonb
    Free Member

A few northeast roadies on here. Was wondering if any of you were doing the Tuesday Night World Championships* or the Thursday night Arena of Death* (*not my descriptions)?

Quite looking forward to them as my first races although having ridden with some of the competition on chain gangs I think I my dreams of winning are just that.

Looking for tips, advice, directions to the start and route maps.

ChrisHeath

I used to race (in the loosest sence of the word) the Newburn crits. That what you mean by the thursday nighters? I think you now have to be a TLI member? When I did them a few years back you could pay a subsidy on the night.

Pace ranges from ‘brisk’ upwards. Only tips are try and stay up the field as it’s easy to drop off the back (particularly on the sprint lap as the pace does tend to go up a fait bit…), stay off the front on the start/finish straight if there’s a westerly, and watch your halfwheeling as there’s a range of experience in the bunch.

Oh, and remember it’s supposed to be fun.

😀

STATO
    Free Member

Been thinking about the Tuesdays, but not sure im up to speed yet this year as i havnt been doing any winter training. No way im doing thursdays, ill just get spat out straight away.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ChrisHeath

The nice thing about the Newburn crits is that the lap is so short, so if you do get spat out the back then you can just wait for the bunch to come round again and get back on.

paul4stones

Newburn crits? Is this the thing my friend has been doing on a wednesday night round the riverside estate?

ChrisHeath

Used to be wednesday nights, now looks to be thursdays:

http://www.theleagueinternational.com/tynesidenorthumbria.htm

paul4stones

Perhaps it was just Wednesdays through the winter, training maybe.

Looks a bit serious for me 🙂

jonb
    Free Member

Aye,

Wednesday night is currently chaingang training. It’s mostly a good laugh but hard work. I thought I was fast until I tried a run with the fast group in my first week. Some very talented riders amongst that lot and when the pace picks up they really fly. Second group averages something like 25mph whihc I find comfortable. Fast group pass us like we’re standing still, I can still only just about hang in there and explode after a couple of turns on the front.

colnagokid

Tues night tend not to be manic as the AOD, and its a pursuit, different course every week and you’ll get to meet the legendary Willy Thompson.
    You need to be a TLI member though- £16.
    Weds is “school of racing”/chaingang, when theres no mid-week races on

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘NE riders – Anyone doing the TLI Northumbria Road Races?’ is closed to new replies.