• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • NE family days out ideas needed…
  • carbon337
    Free Member

But with a twist.

Mrs is fairly sick of sitting in house since out baby was born 4 weeks ago. I’ve been working quite a bit and riding too which I’m gratefull for so offered to take her and baby carbon out for the day somewhere. Just the 3 of us.

Now normally our days out would be to a forest for a walk with the dog but since it’s February and minging a whole day outside with a newborn may be a bit much.

Cinemas etc obviously a no go so was thinking just a stroll around Durham maybe unless anyone has any better cunning ideas.

Live near Alnwick so an hour drive max for little one then she can lie flat in the pram when we get somewhere. She feeds every 2 hours during day so need quiet places for that time.

So fire away…

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Whitehouse farm, Washington Wildfowl and Wetlands park, Down on the Farm in Sunderland, Broomhouse Farm in Durham,

(Sunday) lunch at the National Glass Center followed by a walk along the sea front is a regular favourite of ours

josh1982
    Free Member

seemed to spend my life walking round the metro centre when ours was tiny. boring but convenient.

at that age a walk down the sea front would be good…..Roker Pier then Queens chippy is a fave of ours and was what we did if the metro centre was getting a bit boring………..souter lighthouse is fun too. National Trust places were always good as they had great cafes….whats about the walled gardens or cragside? Both up your way!?

………….please note i hate the metro…..worst place on earth…..missus seeed to love its convenience though……cost a fortune!

user-removed
    Free Member

Gibside is nice for an afternoon of wandering – lovely architecture and gardens, and most importantly, a great teashop with massive cakes.

tankslapper
    Free Member
    CaptJon
    Free Member

Hancock and Discovery museums in Newcastle are worth a look.

GEDA
    Free Member

Most places are shut but from small baby experience I would say a short walk then pub lunch would be best. Always fancied going for a walk around the walls at berwick. Else maybe Baltic gallery. Short walk is best though. We went for a nice little walk at alnmouth a few weeks ago then a big meal. This was with a 4 and 7 year old who decided to paddle in their wellies and then complained that they were cold.

carbon337
    Free Member

Being in Amble I will pass on Alnmouth as that wont be much of a day out – lol

No way to metro centre!

Maybe to Durham, wander around, pub lunch and then look at Cathedral.

Fancy a look at Middleton in teesdale – heard thats nice.

I fancy the air museum at Edinburgh but thats all outside so a bit early for that..

josh1982
    Free Member

Middleton and high force and food and drink at pub at high force! Lovely! Drive down via Hexham for a better day out!

Drac

Dirty bottles and greggs for lunch.

Drac

Dirty bottles and greggs for lunch.

TooTall
    Free Member

Tynemouth – if you go on a Saturday there is the market in the Metro station, then walk down Front Street – loads of places to eat. Then Tynemouth Castle, or along the sea front, or along the pier and around Collingwood’s Monument and the Tynemouth Volunteer Life Brigade might be open too.

amodicumofgnar

Everywhere is going to be fairly perishing cold. Close by I’d suggest Hetherslaw Mill nr Etal; Berwick walls. North Pennines is going to be pushing it for an hour from Alnwick so High Force or Alston would be out. How about the Chesters nr Hexham.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Beach walking your fantastic coastline that you have up there and paddling (in wellies)

Drac

Trip to Goats on the roof might be good, I’ve not been Mrs has with the kids and her mother. Said it was a nice enough cafe and if you go throgh Alnwick and Rothbury should be a nice drive too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘NE family days out ideas needed…’ is closed to new replies.