Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Nazi Gold
  • shaggy

This is pretty mad, if it’s true. It seems impossible to hide a 150m train full of gold.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33994483

I wonder if the Amber Room will ever turn up.

martinhutch

First Great Western hide longer trains than that every single day.

matt_outandabout

More impressive, despite searches before, it has only just been discovered.
    It must be in a tunnel.
    Amazing no local knew of location/works/possibilities.

Pigface
    Free Member

The whole place must of been in total chaos at end of the war, if the train was in a tunnel that had been blown to bits then it may contain something.

300 tons of gold 😯 wow

lemonysam
    Free Member

I reckon I’ll eat my hat if it turns out to be true as reported.

The whole place must of been in total chaos at end of the war, if the train was in a tunnel that had been blown to bits then it may contain something.

This is a worthwhile read on that front:

ninfan
    Free Member

There’s as much likelihood of that being true, as there is of them finding it alongside a Sherman tank full of pink paint shells…

shaggy

A quick google suggests that equates to 0.2% of the world’s gold or about £7.6 billion.

Yeah, it must be in a tunnel or a mine, but even still, you’d have thought someone would have found it before.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Its amazing what gets “lost” when people move on, die, etc.
    Even somewhere as innocuous as Tenerife has hundreds of hidden secrets left over from WW2.
    Half the German Navy was scuttled between there and Gran Canaria – bearing in mind the sea floor drops to around 2000mts in places.
    Dozens of planes, propellers, and more are in waters 30-90mts deep.
    I’ve sat on the bow of half a u-boat that sits on a cliff at 72mts – the rest? God knows – but its a long way down to find out.
    The Spanish Navy surveyed 2 U Boats that are to this day buried under Montaña Roja at El Medano. Walk up to the top and you’ll pass quite a few circles of concrete – these are the air shafts for the base the germans built under it in what was a natural cavern.
    Once they’d finished – they blew the entrance and then pumped it full of concrete in 67/68’ish.
    Very few of the locals are left who were involved. My Landlord at the time was one of them who was doing his national service then and was in the thick of it.
    Most of the dive sites we went on when we weren’t working were those the local fishermen avoided due to snag hazards. Several huge multi-bladed props 8-10mts across, a conning tower, the rear of a plane we could never identify.
    Even had Leeds Uni charter us one year for a Vulcanology survey on transits even the fishermen thought were really odd!
    Its an odd sensation sweating underwater because the water is 40+ degrees due to volcanic vents!
    You do know its only a dormant volcano don’t you?
    Might want to rethink that all inclusive you just booked 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

£7.6bn?

DO you think they need an environmental consultant?

shaggy

NIN I love that film 🙂

I watched Black Sea at the weekend. More missing Nazi gold but with added submarine.

LS
    Free Member

There’s as much likelihood of that being true, as there is of them finding it alongside a Sherman tank full of pink paint shells…

😆 8)

atlaz
    Free Member

I like that they’re not greedy… you could barely survive on 760 million quid split two ways. I think a second hand fiesta goes for not much less than that 😆

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

First Great Western hide longer trains than that every single day.

😮 🙂 😀 😆

sobriety
    Free Member

Don’t hit me with the negative waves man.

T1000
    Free Member

70 yrs pah FGW can hide them for longer than that…

TheBrick
    Free Member

I say bullshit too. A load of old locals would have known where various tunnels went.

marcus7
    Free Member

has the smell of a Burma spitfire to me…..

wrecker
    Free Member

I hope it’s true.
    Treasure Hunter. I can’t think of a job I’d rather have.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I kinda like the idea if it is real. Love stuff like this I do. All that intrigue and conspiracy, folklore and whispered tales…

Don’t really imagine for one moment someone didn’t know about this, long since retired Nazi General(s) sipping margaritas in Argentina perhaps..

If true, great find.

Northwind

Send for Doug Shaftoe

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wot, not Bobby Shafto ?

cranberry
    Free Member

I’s also love for it to be true – it would be an amazing story.

40mpg

I’d love for it to be true, but the train empty, and all the local farmers houses to be built of surprisingly heavy bricks 😀

Northwind

If it was in Britain, it’d turn out to be true, then the government would sell the train to Richard Branson for a pound.

matt_outandabout

I’d love for it to be true, but the train empty, and all the local farmers houses to be built of surprisingly heavy bricks

And a small note, left pinned to the open door saying ‘ttthhhhhhhhppppppppppp!’

imnotverygood

Nobody thought to follow up a set of railway tracks leading to a blocked up tunnel?

ThePinkster

Treasure Hunter. I can’t think of a job I’d rather have.

Good god man, have you never seen Indiana Jones? Looks far too risky a job to me 😉

matt_outandabout

Nobody thought to follow up a set of railway tracks leading to a blocked up tunnel?

Alright Clueso. Despite loosing the war I suspect that they were clever enough to hide such evidence. Maybe they covered it in sand and planted a new forest with ‘keep out’ signs on? 😆

lemonysam
    Free Member

In fairness, you’re talking about this happening in the midst of the greatest displacement of people in history. The vast majority of the area’s pre-war residents, Germans, were forced out* and large areas weren’t repopulated for years. In those circumstances it’s not inconceivable that a project to hide something on this scale could have succeeded – tracks laid/moved/torn up, forest/field replanted…

*Or had died – 40,000 civilians died at Breslau.

matt_outandabout

Just reading some comments on older finds reported in the press, apparently they covered many areas up and then used the last few Luwftwaffe planes to bomb the area to really cover tracks…having shot anyone involved locally, and the German soldiers having been shipped in and out, not knowing what part of Europe they were even in.

MrNice
    Free Member

What are the odds that a story like this turns up when JHJ is on “holiday”? Makes you think, doesn’t it.

matt_outandabout

*dons tin foil cloak*

iolo
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33880350

It’s turning up everywhere

imnotverygood

It does indeed make you think.

MrNice
    Free Member

martinhutch

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Russell96

Or they’ll sell the rights to the location/salvage and then scarper with the proceeds.

Drac

Klunk
    Free Member

perhaps it was like the pharohs… someone shot the driver, then the work men who sealed it in the tunnel then others who didn’t know anything executed the executioners and so on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Nazi Gold’ is closed to new replies.