Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Navigation of unknown trails with a garmin 605
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Trying to use this to its full potential rather than an expensive data recorder.

So would really like to know what you guys use?

Whats best to use to follow a new ride?
    GPX file or tcx
    If I download a track to the garmin its in tcx format and ends up in the courses folder not in the saved rides folder.

So have to follow it through the training>course’s mode.

If I download the track in GPX file to the desktop then put it in the GPX folder it appears in the saved rides option where i can navigate it.

Not sure which is the best option and which mode will tell me if I’m going off course.

also what amount of zoom (how many feet) works best for navigation

thanks in advance

SOAP
    Free Member

Bump. anyone?

DickBarton

Your nose? Just go ride your bike and see what you find, if it is rubbish, track back and choose another option…surely part of the fun of mtbing is the exploring? If so, why use something to guide you round when you could discover the trails…

Not an attempt at a troll, a genuine question…I don’t understand why people need a guide to routes when they can go discover…the good and bad…so I’m asking the question because I don’t understand…

wwaswas

my 2p – if you’re trying to follow twisty singletrack through some woods and want to know what to do at the next junction it’s not too good. Bridleways with a gate/junction you’ll be fine.

I think the issue with a ‘course’ is that it doesn’t really do the navigation thing as it doesn’t have waypoints as such – it just tells you when you’ve gone wrong and how far ahgead/behind the target time you are?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Navigation of unknown trails with a garmin 605’ is closed to new replies.