Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Nature’s great events
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Watching this is making me want to go to British Columbia.

How do the BBC camera crews manage to make wherever they’re filming look like the most beautiful place in the world?

gingerflash

BC? I thought it was Langdale.

Mind you, I doubt it’s that hard to make the mountains and rivers of British Columbia look beautiful.

snaps
    Free Member

Superb footage, crystal clear & the slow motion bits are spectacular – how clear is that water!

grizzlygus
    Free Member

It’s because the BBC is the best and most talented broadcaster on the planet. And it has no rivals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxi2Dx2EGMU

Stoner
    Free Member

the BBC nature unit is the finest on the planet. The “collected works” of David Attenborough on DVD is a gem of fine, informative TV.

Ive been catching Greatest Events on iPlayer, andit still stands tall…BUT…DA’s voice is really showing his age and with each programme he narrates it just hammers home that one day, when he’s gone, no matter how good the photography if they dont find the right person to replace him, natural history programming just wont have the gravitas and informative content ever again…

I was watching an episode of Trials of Life on the train home tonight (on my PSP) and it was brilliant. I learn so much from each programme he presents.

gingerflash

“one day, when he’s gone”

He’s had about half a dozen “last series”. Where did you get the collected works DVD? Would be a nice thing to have for after he’s finally retired.

Stoner
    Free Member

off eBay. – think it cost about a £100, but its something like 90 hours of quality TV.

* The Life of Birds
    * Trials of Life
    * Life in the Freezer
    * The Life of Mammals
    * The Private Life of Plants
    * The Living Planet
    * Life On Earth
    * Life In The Undergrowth

4360 minutes!

gingerflash

Ah yes, I’d seen that. I thought maybe there was one set with everything including blue planet and planet earth, although I see they’re doing a package thing for £150.

Stoner
    Free Member

I bought Planet Earth seperately and I get Blue Planet when the Mother in Law checks out 🙂

domino

Wow fantastic programme. If you wanted to see the bears and the salmon migration in B.C then Bella Coola is a fab place to see it (Tweedsmuir Lodge). Okay so my photography isnt quite up to the Beebs standards:

Drac

Got this recorded in HD can’t wait to watch it with my eldest kid, loved watching DA as a kid with my Dad now it’s my turn to be the wise Dad.

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

I have everything he has shown on the BBC on disc and am very glad. Also have that 2 or 3 part series he did… about the destruction of earth? That was special; wish everyone could be forced to watch it at school.

anagallis_arvensis

If you like bears, watch the documentary Grizzily Man, interesting, stunning and sad.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you really see bears if you go MTBing in BC?

That really would be awesome, super-stoked etc.

domino

Depends where you are. Its pretty common to see black bears in the bike park in Whistler from the chairlift and even on the trails, but they tend to just ignore people. I don’t beleive there are grizzlies around Whistler, though I am happy to be corrected. You are encouraged to make noise when walking and biking to give bears a chance to get out of the way, interaction is not encouraged. Riding round Lost Lake, Whistler a couple of americans came puffing and panting after us and asked if we realised we had ridden past a bear – we had completely missed it.

My pictures were not from a biking trip, we had gone grizzly bear watching with a qualified guide around Bella Coola. The chances of coming accross bears there was pretty high as it is so remote and we saw 5 or 6 in a day.

MoreCashThanDash

Part of our honeymoon was spent bear watching at Knight Inlet – http://www.grizzlytours.com – absolutely fantastic!

molgrips
    Free Member

I went into HMV looking for blurays, and as soon as I saw Planet Earth, I picked it up and went straight to the checkout. It’s filmed in 1080i and those slow panning shots look stupendous.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds great domino.

Sounds like it’d be great for a combined biking/family holiday.

uplink
    Free Member

I watched the salmon run one last night on BBC HD – stunning

domino

I could talk for ages about it chapaking! It was a fantastic experience. We just hired a car, booked flights and initial hotel and then booked the rest as we went along, with some mountain biking too. Just be aware that bear viewing with kids might not be possible and some whale watching trips have a minimum/maximum age requirement.

crazy-legs

I watched in on plain old analogue and it still looked stunning! Programmes like that suddenly make the licence fee look cheap. And David Attenborough = National Institution.
    His Darwin programme a couple of weeks ago was excellent too, very well argued and thought out, very calm.

BoardinBob

How do the BBC camera crews manage to make wherever they’re filming look like the most beautiful place in the world?

You’ve never watched Eastenders, have you?

beamers

That really would be awesome, super-stoked etc.

I went mountainbiking in BC and I saw a bear. A quite large Black Bear, about 50 meters away in the trees. We both stopped what we were doing, checked each other out from a distance and then went on our separate, and opposite, ways.

Later that day we visited the Bear Sanctuary at Kicking Horse and met Boo:

More here

JonEdwards
    Free Member

That really would be awesome, super-stoked etc

Oh yes.

We saw loads of blacks (30 or 40 over a fortnight) in and around Whistler, including quite a few cubs. I never quite got used to tanking round some corner in the bike park to find 25stone of bear taking a dump on the trail…

We also spent a weekend out in the backcountry (Chilcotins). On the saturday night we ended up having a BBQ on the balcony which was ‘crashed by 3 adolescent grizzlies. Whilst the blacks looked all cute and teddy bear like (just BIG), the grizzlies were downright scary. At eye level, maybe 20’ away on the bank the other side of the drive, and we all had the feeling of being the live fish in the tank at a posh restaurant – just waiting to be hauled out and eaten.

beamers

Finally managed to watch the repeat of this programme on BBC 1 last night.

Hats off to that cameraman getting in the water with those Grizzlies. He obviously knows his bears! Amazing stuff.

miketually
    Free Member

if they dont find the right person to replace him

Ricky Gervais is going for it, I believe.

noteeth
    Free Member

Finally got round to watching this episode, having recorded it weeks ago.

Absolutely stunning.

He obviously knows his bears!

Rather better than the nutter in Grizzly Man, I suspect…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Nature’s great events’ is closed to new replies.