Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • naturalists, or naturists- not the naked ones
  • sweepy
    Free Member

Mrs wants a smartphone for xmas, she’s a keen nature enthusiast and works in that field. What has the best apps, apple or android?

JulianA
    Free Member

There are very good bird, butterfly / moth and dragonfly apps from birdGuides for iOS, but there is still no really good European flower app for iOS as far as I know (I’ll be delighted to be told otherwise!). Fleurs en Poche is the best European flower app we’ve found – it’s ok, but doesn’t have as many flowers as it might, and the focus is on French flowers (naturally enough, as the developer is French).

Fleurs en Poche was about £1.69, as I recall, and the moths / butterflies, birds and dragonflies apps were around £15 each, from memory.

Can’t really say about Android apps, but a look around the Android Market didn’t turn up any detailed identification guides for me.

We actually bought our iPod Touch to try to replace the stack of books we took with us when we go birdwatching / botanising etc, but found that we got on slightly better with the books – mainly as with an app you really have to know what you’re looking for, whereas with a book you can skim through it more easily and quickly. MrsSweepy’s experience may be different if she’s an expert on nature stuff…

Wouldn’t be without the iTouch though – found so many more uses for it on top of nature stuff!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘naturalists, or naturists- not the naked ones’ is closed to new replies.