Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Natural VS Man-Made
  • ohrats
    Free Member

Whilst out riding some “natural” trails in my local woods I was wondering, what actually defines a natural bit of MTB singletrack? Most of the so-called natural sections of trail that I ride are just hand-dug, unsurfaced trails built by a few locals- they are still man-made. Is a bridleway or hiking path a natural trail? They were both made by humans, just not designed specifically for bikes. By this logic a natural trail must be a game trail beaten out by wildlife. Or is a natural trail just anything that isn’t a surfaced trail centre section?

coogan
    Free Member

I like riding my bike and not over thinking things.

mattsccm
    Free Member

As by default, if we as cyclists, have created it then it must be man made, I would say that following animal tracks is natural. Being slightly more reasonable I would suggest that if it has needed tools to make its surface it most definitely isn’t a natural trail. Kicking the odd bramble or snapping the odd twig doesn’t could but bring along a spade is definitely “making”

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

They’re all man-made.
    “purpose built” would be a better designation

cookeaa

“Natural” means it was constructed entirely by that there nature so Deer, Squirrels and Owls Cleared the path, carried out any excavations and brought in any additional materials required with no Human assistance…

“Man made” trails apparently means big ugly Men (No Women you’ll note) Stamped all over the “countryside”, they probably used chainsaws and Axes and destroyed a rare ground nesting birds habitat for fun…

ndthornton
    Free Member

“Natural” means it was constructed entirely by that there nature so Deer, Squirrels and Owls Cleared the path, carried out any excavations and brought in any additional materials required with no Human assistance…

Are humans not part of nature then?
    Why is a squirrel digging a jump more natural than a human digging a jump?

dunmail
    Free Member

I think the distinction is between those trails explicitly designed and created for mountain bikes (man made) and those which were created for something else, i.e. the stalking tracks in Scotland (natural).

They are just labels and so long as (most) people know what you mean it doesn’t really matter. They could be called “Fred” and “Wilma” for all the difference it makes.

kcal

interesting.

some of the most sublime tracks I’ve ridden recently have, I’m hazarding, been developed by wildlife – deer, sheep maybe, definitely not cyclists. But they flow well, some very well.

natural – to me could include stalkers’ paths in the highlands, man-made, built, but for transport rather than ‘enjoyment’…

man-made – ‘purpose built’ as above would be the dividing line to me..

mrblobby
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be about boobies 🙁

cookeaa

No I’m serious…

This was constructed entirely by woodland animals:

Have you ever seen a Vole Nailing down the slats on a skinny? it takes them absolutely ages, and they insist on using the tiniest hammer you’ve ever seen…

This kicker was made by a “trail-crew” comprising seven foxes a badger and a siberian tiger (Visiting on his gap year apparently):

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are you genuinely struggling here?

As above think man made = purpose built for bikes

Natural = not purpose built for bikes

fathomer

^^ What he says.

cookeaa

These Jumps were all built by one Shetland pony:

No really… it took him ages.

cookeaa

An Otter working with a Goose and a Hedgehog…

Rorschach
    Free Member

maccruiskeen

Are you genuinely struggling here?

As above think man made = purpose built for bikes

I’d think and even stricter distinction would be ‘natural’ would be a trail that actually goes somewhere by the most effective route and has come into being by the actions of people travelling that route. ‘Made’ MTB trails tend to take the most wriggly and circuitous route they can between a corner of the carpark and another corner of the same carpark.

cookeaa

This shoddy bag of crap was made by a Moor hen and an Ocelot…

… Never trust an Ocelot…

ndthornton
    Free Member

I’d think and even stricter distinction would be ‘natural’ would be a trail that actually goes somewhere by the most effective route and has come into being by the actions of people travelling that route.

According to the Oxford dictionary……

Natural = “Existing in or derived from nature; not made or caused by humankind:”

…..so pretty much nothing Iv ever ridden is natural….. Except when going scouting off piste for new lines. Of course as soon as Iv ridden them in they cease to be natural.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

They’re all man-made.
    “purpose built” would be a better designation

This.

The difference to me is that ‘purpose built’ are built to be bike friendly. The camber works in your favour, the surface offers just the right amount of grip and the right amount of technical challenge, The corners might have berms to make maintaining speed easier, any jumps have just the right sort of transition and a thought out landing area.

What the OP originally started off calling natural is everything else. It might be easier it might not but it is definitely not been adapted for a bike.

Ffs, we all know what the OP meant.

This thread makes me want to kill kittens. Or people.

Just for the record, I enjoy riding trails and I couldn’t give a flying fox how they were made

timbo678
    Free Member

I really want to see a squirrel digging a jump now

chiefgrooveguru

Quite a lot of our local trails were made by badgers or deer – the badgers even put moderately challenging features in! We clear stuff higher up because badgers on bikes aren’t as tall as humans on bikes (and pedestrian badgers are even shorter) but what we ride is natural – at least to start with…

Point taken about ocelots! 😉

CheesybeanZ

Squirrels for jumps badgers for berms ,the most natural trails ever .

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Natural VS Man-Made’ is closed to new replies.