Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Natural riding near Gisburn
  • idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Working up at Samlesbury this week and have the bike with me – rode Gisburn last night and hoping to get out again tonight but was wondering about finding some natural trails. Only got about an hour and a half for a ride so nothing epic needed! Had a look at Pendle Hill areas but it all seems to be footpaths..?

kudos
    Free Member

Longridge Fell is good fun, compact and plenty of hidden bits so great if you can ride with a local or if you’ve got a day to explore. (Strava can be helpful for finding the well-ridden routes).

Some great riding round the Trough of Bowland – Whitendale, Ouster Rake, Dunsop Breast, Beattrix Fell etc, and Waddington Fell has some decent riding from Pimlico side.

Pendle is a bit disappointing though…

kudos
    Free Member

If you get a full day, a great ride is to start from Dunsop Bridge, over Whitendale/Dunsop/Beatrix to Parrock Head/Laythom, over to Gizzy via Slaidburn, do a loop and head back.

That’ll wear you out!

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions – will check them out if I get more time, but unfortunately only have an hour and a half tonight!

ekul
    Free Member

+1 for Longridge Fell. Went up the other week for a bit of an exploration and was pleasantly surprised. Some of the cheeky bits are brilliant fun to ride quickly and the hidden stuff is pretty good! I went up on a blazing hot Sunday and only saw 3 walkers and they were all very pleasant and didn’t seem to mind sharing the paths.

I’d park near the woods if you can and go from there. I parked near the golf course and it was a quite peaty and grassy, possibly not ideal after a bit of rain.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks! Best place to park?

Edit; just seen, near the woods. Cheers!

kudos
    Free Member

I live locally so generally ride up from Longridge and onto the Fell at Cardwell Farm – that’s the grassy climb followed by the ride up alongside the wall to the Trig. It’s not a bad climb, even after rain – stay on the right of the wall though – it drains better.
    There are 2 fire-road entrances, the Quarry near the top of Huntingdon Hall Lane or the one at the top of Kempel End. Both are a good starting point and once you get your bearings, you’ll be able to link a few climbs and descents together.

loddrik
    Free Member

Checks in.

mick_r

Keep your eyes open on the fire road into the forest from the quarry car park – proper dog poo alley 🙂

There are also some BW options that make a nice loop with a bit of road from Chipping. Leagram Hall down to Lickhurst Farm. Then through Lower Fence Wood and over back of Mellor Knoll. Up the Trough road, BW over Whin Fell – Ouster Rake (eek) – Brennands Farm and then back to Dunsop and Chipping on obvious (mostly tarmac) bridleways and road.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Anyone fancy a spin tonight then?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Well, good quick ride, though I hardly found any singletrack. Cheers to the couple I met on a GT and a Corsair walking the dogs – hope I didn’t waylay you too much!

Such beautiful scenery, but a lot of this:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Natural riding near Gisburn’ is closed to new replies.