Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Native French Speakers – I need help
  • mildred

My little boy has a medical condition that requires an In Case of Emergency bracelet.

We’re travelling to France quite soon and would like the grammatically correct phrase to have engraved upon a bracelet. Can anyone help?

Online translators won’t recognise medical terms.

ocrider

En cas d’urgence….

If it helps, I have a good friend who has practised as a cardiologist in France, she’ll know.
    Stick up what you need and I’ll get it back to you later.

mildred

Thanks for that.

The information we need translating is:

Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency: ON STEROIDS

Ta
    Mark

irelanst
    Free Member

From the guy who sits behind me at work (who’s French speaking Belgian)

Hyperplasie congénitale des surrénales (HCS) par déficit en 21-hydroxylase: sur les stéroïdes

I did a check and google translate does translate that^ back to the English phrase. It also seems to tie in with French wiki;

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperplasie_cong%C3%A9nitale_des_surr%C3%A9nales

NOTE: He is not a doctor though.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m no medic but understand the Belgian’s translation which looks fine for the condition. I’d say “sous stéroïdes” though.

Edit: Googling gets this

ocrider

That looks good through my uncultured eyes. Edukator’s right to suggest sous rather than sur.

Don’t trust the Belgians (unless they’re giving you beer) They can’t count properly, even though their way is more logical!

Doc said HCS par déficit de 21 hydroxylase, so there you have it.

cchris2lou

Will have a look this afternoon, but as a French native, the above sounds good.

mildred

That’s brilliant – thanks everyone. I’d never thought of French Wikipedia.

Thanks ever so much 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Native French Speakers – I need help’ is closed to new replies.