Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • National Rail Museum – York with a toddler and other ideas
  • stevew
    Free Member

Yep, York is proper rammed as always at this time of year, the amount of people stepping out in front of the bike is just mad.

Very Christmassy though and love it.

NRM is fab, my boys used to literally run around it diving in and out of trains but we didn’t mind as residents as we could just keep going back. Don’t go as often now, still fab though.

The cat trail is good but will be hard to keep stopping and starting in the crowds, a nice walk around the city walls will be good and quite impressive for a toddler, get the land train from the NRM and get onto the walls at Bootham Bar near the Minster and do the section round past the Minster and its grounds as that’s the best bit. Come back down at Monk Bar and there is a really good model shop and ice cream shop on Goodramgate. Nice walk back through the main centre to the railway station from there.

Enjoy, I’ll wave from my office.

robbo1234biking

All sounds very good. The train ride over will make it like an adventure for him as well.

I’ll just need to start a what mortgage thread for when I re-mortgage the house after the wife’s spend in Betty’s!

chestrockwell

If you drive you could call in to stockheld park on the way back. Never had a problem parking at nrm and it’s the right side of York to escape back to Harrogate.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yep, think it’s the unofficial car park between the NRM and the station – it’s massive and cheap. Stretches all the way down towards Holgate. If you’re driving, park there and it’s straight down Leeman Road and Boroughbridge Road to the A59.

jsync

Maybe of limited use to you but we went to this the other week with a 2 years old, she loved it

http://www.christmasatyorkmuseumgardens.co.uk/

munrobiker
    Free Member

back when i were a lad there was also a very good model railway museum not far away.

It moved to Doncaster. Then, funnily enough, got no visitors and shut.

mattbee

NRM is fantastic. Not been for a couple of years but they did have a few of my dads scratch built models on display dotted around the place; he was contracted to build them way back when it opened.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

It moved to Doncaster. Then, funnily enough, got no visitors and shut.

Rail Riders – I used to be a member when I was little 😀

Was where the York Tap is now.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ll just need to start a what mortgage thread for when I re-mortgage the house after the wife’s spend in Betty’s!

100%

I got a day there as a gift a couple of years ago and for some time my Amazon Wish List almost exclusively comprised the gadgets they recommend. The Microplane grater is a thing of extreme magnificence.

Freester

I went there this summer with Freester Jr who was 6.

He’s completely into all things transport (cars, trains, planes, trucks, tractors etc etc) and absolutely loved it. He didn’t want to leave and we had to be ejected at closing time!

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘National Rail Museum – York with a toddler and other ideas’ is closed to new replies.