Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • National Cycle to Work Day (Fri 21st)
  • DezB
    Free Member

http://www.bikeweek.org.uk/event_search.php?pagemode=display&event_id=1692

Have you seen much publicity about this?

Nothing from my company to encourage people. Should this event be bigger??

zilog6128

Loads of people with little/no experience of riding in busy traffic suddenly appearing on bikes at rush hour. What could possibly go wrong?

DezB
    Free Member

Wouldn’t the traffic be less busy if more people were riding?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

My Trust always used to promote Cycle Week/Cycle to Work day – free full English in the canteen if you rocked up with your cycle helmet!
    Now? Bugger all, even in terms of promotion/information.

zilog6128

I suppose so, in the same way as if you filled a bucket with seawater there’d be less water in the sea.

Now? Bugger all, even in terms of promotion/information.

Maybe they realised it wasn’t effective in getting people to cycle to work long term, so they stopped doing it.

DezB
    Free Member

Well, you’ve certainly raised my enthusiasm for the event!

soobalias
    Free Member

this is the first ive heard of it.

i heard more about national sausage week

ahwiles
    Free Member

DezB – Member

yes, so moving faster…

my (cycle) commute is much easier on rainy days, when everyone’s in their cars and going nowhere.

it’s much harder/scarier/longer (time) on ‘quiet’ days when everyone’s hooning around.

DezB
    Free Member

Did I miss it??!

portlyone

It’s Bike Week, I noticed a load of people riding home last night, some were less than comfortable.

My work posted about BW on the internal website, as the BUG guy I haven’t done anything special (apart from a Clayton Vale trip tomorrow).

D0NK

Knew it was bike week, work are having an “annual cycle event” tomorrow (and have a monthly C2W day) bit weird it doesn’t coincide with national C2W day, I presume they have organisational reasons.

Should this event be bigger??

BTW was this a sly dig at STW not publicising it? (as far as I know, don’t read the website that much)

Royston
    Free Member

I have a day off work on Friday

xherbivorex
    Free Member

It’s Bike Week, I noticed a load of people riding home last night, some were less than comfortable.

some also need to learn which parts of the route over the roundabout on chester rd/mancunian way are for pedestrians and which are for bikes…

D0NK

I have a day off work on Friday

monthly C2W is a wednesday, I normally have a rest on Wednesdays and catch the train 😳

some also need to learn which parts of the route over the roundabout on chester rd/mancunian way are for pedestrians and which are for bikes…

I notice there are bike lanes on there, are they any good or does it take 10minutes to get around due to disjointed cycle junction timing? the few times I’ve used it I’ve used the road (or the fly under)

ebygomm
    Free Member

free full English in the canteen if you rocked up with your cycle helmet!

We’ve had a free bacon cob in previous years, this year we’re getting ‘a healthy breakfast’ 🙁

xherbivorex
    Free Member

I notice there are bike lanes on there, are they any good or does it take 10minutes to get around due to disjointed cycle junction timing? the few times I’ve used it I’ve used the road (or the fly under)

all depends on timing to be honest, but i’ve got the light sequence sussed so can usually do it in a couple of minutes (unless some driver decides that his red light has priority over the cycle lane’s green, which can happen a bit).

portlyone

the few times I’ve used it I’ve used the road

+1

Unless I’m coming from the canal heading for Chorlton Road, then I make it a little messy, but take the bike line.

lasty
    Free Member

First ive heard of it – might even get a job just to participate .. 8)

xherbivorex
    Free Member

the few times I’ve used it I’ve used the road
    +1

Unless I’m coming from the canal heading for Chorlton Road, then I make it a little messy, but take the bike line.

i come along withington road/chorlton road and it’s easier to jump on the cycle path in that direction than to use the road, until i get across the roundabout then i cross over and use the road along to deansgate.
    heading home, i tend to stick to the cycle path too although jumping onto the road to go round the roundabout at that point would possibly make more sense (albeit with an element of danger the way some people drive round it in rush hour!)

TiRed

£3 breakfast voucher, which can be redeemed all day. Bike-related activities on site tomorrow. This on top of the £1 per day we receive for cycling on any day.

Was thinking of riding in on the tandem with a friend on Friday.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

oh yeah, and on topic- not a single thing from my employer (who still don’t even want to entertain the idea of offering any cycle to work scheme)…

hjghg5
    Free Member

There’s sod all happening here, my employer doesn’t think bikes exist, but in previous years the building managers have done something and the council usually put a bike breakfast on – I haven’t seen any sign of either this year.

crankboy
    Free Member

Not heard a peep about this in leeds and thanks to the end of criminal activity I don’t work on Fridays.

DezB
    Free Member

Well, I am going to ride to work…gonna drive home cos I have to pick my kid up from school.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I will be taking my bike to work tomorrow 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

So, I saw 5 other people cycling to work. 5. I think that’s less than normal. Guy I see every day wearing the black full face was one of them. Nutter.

Only one near death experience from a young lady in a Peugeot, but she apologised when I caught her up at the lights.

messiah
    Free Member

Normal commute day for me. Passed two other folk on bikes which was unusual.

Beer for lunch and train home 8)

xherbivorex
    Free Member

maybe a handful more than normal on my commute this morning. the dude driving the transit who pulled out on me just off deansgate clearly didn’t get the emails about it though… apparently, yelling “i said sorry, you prick” (he hadn’t) then chasing me down the street for a bit was his way of showing empathy for cycle commuters on our special day…

ahwiles
    Free Member

1 panic-pass as a wake-up call, a left-hook at the usual spot, and a load of shouty aggressive abuse for using the cycle-crossing correctly.

just a normal day here in sheffield.

yossarian
    Free Member

Wurst publicised event ever

I rode to work as per usual today, same number of people on bikes as usual.

bails

We had a couple of lunchtime bike rides organised. Both of which have been cancelled due to lack of interest.

It felt like trying to get the people who cycle in to do a few more miles, rather than trying to get the people who live a mile or two away but drive in (thus contributing to the chronic parking problems) to leave the car at home.

There was a free cake and coffee thing planned but it was quickly cancelled.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘National Cycle to Work Day (Fri 21st)’ is closed to new replies.