Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Nasty nitro-mors issue
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

Cleaned all the paint off a frame using Nitro-mors. I appear to have got some on my hands and it has made them peel. ALOT. Is there anyway to stop this???

tails
    Free Member

wash them lots of water no soap, if the peeling persists get down A and E. Obviously hindsight is great but you really gotta wear gloves with that stuff I also wear googles.

psychle
    Free Member

Don't paint your hands?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ollie
    Free Member

I ended up in A+E with this stuff, It caused me some pretty serious breathing problems for a couple of hours even though I was using it in a well ventilated area and was wearing a repirator, lethal stuff. My floor looked good when finished though!

jonb
    Free Member

Hmmm…

You want to read this
    MSDS

I'll quote you a few bits as you may not be familiar with an MSDS.

From section 4, first aid

SKIN CONTACT
    Remove affected person from source of contamination. Remove contaminated clothing. Wash the skin immediately with soap and water.

From toxicology

SKIN CONTACT
    Acts as a defatting agent on skin. May cause cracking of skin, and eczema.

ooh it's an R35, causes severe burns. Luckily it isn't an R24 or R27 or a CMR. As above really, wash your hands.

Maybe phone NHS direct and see what they say. I'd guess the answer maybe copious amounts of E45 cream but you want a second opinion on that from someone who knows more about these things.

rich-6
    Free Member

Its supposed to neutralise with water so get plenty of that on you paws 🙂

I always wear two pairs of latex gloves minimum, yeah they shrivvle up but it helps to protect your hands.

Why are you stripping the frame right back anyway? You dont have to to paint it unless you are polishing?

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

TAKE A SHOWER… trust me, I got nirotmorse on my feet, hands, face etc when scrubbing with a wire brush! god it burns…. but a shower sorted that out nice, but as above if it continues.. A&E

matt_bl
    Free Member

Nitrile gloves give a decent amount of protection with this stuff.

Personally I'm not a fan of gloves, I prefer to not splash it about as means of prevention.

Matt

crazy-legs

Nitromors is a mix of dichloromethane and methanol both of which are toxic – DCM is listed as a "possible carcinogen". It's nasty stuff and will eat through lightweight nitrile gloves in seconds, you need the thick Marigold type.
    It's also illegal to tip it down the drain since it's very toxic in the aquatic environment.

However all that is a bit late if you've already bathed in it! Wash the affected area with lots of water and soap, apply some moisturiser and see how it goes. It may take a day or so for the skin to calm down again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Nasty nitro-mors issue’ is closed to new replies.