Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Nasal strips
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Tend to get a bit congested when I sleep, tried one and what a revelation. Like a shot of cold air going up my nose. It’s broken three times and only ever put back with a big old plaster. Sure it’s not right, sometimes it clicks if I sit up too soon. Had great sleep with them.

So what about on the bike, going to try one during Saturdays cx race. Yet I’ve only ever seen one bloke use them.

pjt201
    Free Member

Contador uses them, make of that what you will.

scaredypants

I breathe initially through my mouth, and then my arse, when riding hard

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I tried them, way back when in the late 90s, for racing. They seemed a good idea, and certainly seemed to open the old airwaves up a bit, but I felt like an utter asshat whenever I put on one!

Pook

edited

oldgit
    Free Member

Well I just did a quick Google and they seem to get poo poo’d at for riding, basically they do nothing.

My thinking is if I’m congested and can’t suck in a lungfull through my nose, but can with a strip fitted, then that’s a good thing surely?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

They help me breathe at night as I have a bent nose that only works on one side. I’ll try one riding next time.

OG – this might be relevant to you. The breathing issue seems to trigger a medical problem, I saw my GP, he agreed and has sorted surgery for me. It’s an issue caused by a deviated septum, if you want to google. AKA the family bent nose.

oldgit
    Free Member

Will have a look.
    I need to (not essential) sleep on my right, roll onto my left and you can feel something closing?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Polyps?

globalti
    Free Member

Nasal strips are the same useless juju as those lung exercisers.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

useless juju

– except when they help you cope with an existing problem, or are they still useless juju then?

rugbydick

– except when they help you cope with an existing problem, or are they still useless juju then?

Indeed – I have a deviated septum that compounds the problems caused by an already narrow nose (waiting for an ENT consult on the septum).
    Normally I feel like most of the rest of you would probably feel with a continual cold (in fact heavy breathing can almost make me breathless, if that makes sense?).
    I’ve only use Breath Right strips, but the difference is phenomenal.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

RD – my GP sent me to one of those evil commercial places cherry-picking profitable jobs from the NHS to the benefit of some and to the disadvantage of the rest of us. It came up quicker.

oldgit
    Free Member

Seeing my GP next week. We had a chat, I’m good health but all my problems come from my nose. Drip causes constant sore throats, lack of sleep etc.
    It was picked up over thirty years ago so time to do something about it.
    Also booked an eye test.
    Full restoration due.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Time for an update – I’ve had my nose bored out so that both sides work. I went in at nine, came out at two-thirty. Two days on it looks and feels like I’ve ridden into a tree, but is getting betterer and is mostly ok. The worst part of the procedure was being made to wear a pretty blue dress and those knee-high white socks, the ones that used to be called ‘virgin socks’ when I was young.

In two weeks I can ride again.

sandwicheater

Is disappointed, thought this was going to be a thread about Star-Trec engines. 😥

Cougar

That took me a moment, very good. (-:

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Nasal strips’ is closed to new replies.