• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • NAS + iPhone + Blue tooth speaker
  • djambo
    Free Member

Last few years i’ve been using a mac mini loaded with my mp3s to play my music either through an amp/speakers in the living room or via airplay to a radio + airport express in the kitchen. I control the itunes on the mac mini via Remote app on the iphone.

It works great most of the time but the downsides are:
    – it’s not very portable to other rooms or the garden
    – it involves the phaff of logging on the mac mini every time (they’re bit of a power hog if left on 24/7)
    – i’ve found the Apple Remote app (iphone control of itunes) more than a bit flaky

Anyway i bought a Anker Soundcore mini bluetooth speaker the other day and have been using it around the house to play a few tunes off my phone and i’m very impressed by it, sound quality is great. It got me thinking:

If i get a NAS loaded with my mp3s can I simply stream the mp3s to my phone and play over the Anker wherever I am? I’m guessing this is possible but what I’m really looking for is:

– A low power consumption NAS
    – A reliable/stable/slick iphone app to easily browse a large collection of mp3s
    – Be able to simple switch on NAS, fire up app and play music with little/no phaff
    – Needs to work on the wife’s iphone easily too (she’s always complaining firing up the mac mini is a hassle and Remote doesn’t work)

Any ideas on what solution I need?

DezB
    Free Member

I use my Qnap Silent NAS to do exactly what you describe. Its a few years old now, so I imagine the newer, higher spec ones are pretty amazing.
    simple switch on – I just leave it on, it has low power.
    Qmusic is a decent enough app for playing music (much better then the Synology version i had previously). Very easy to use – I just set to Random Play most of the time.
    Qfile can also be used to play content – its the files browser
    Also can be used as iTunes storage.
    I have a iPhone linked up to a Sony bluetooth speaker in the kitchen, an Ipod and a Jam speaker in the bathroom and a Chromecast Audio plugged into the stereo. All works a treat.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh, and it works over the internet, so I can stream music off my nas at work.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘NAS + iPhone + Blue tooth speaker’ is closed to new replies.