Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • NAS hard disk enclosure/case – is there such a thing?
  • clubber
    Free Member

I recently bought a new hard drive and USB enclosure for one on my computers at home.

I've also recently bought a new laptop which I've now ended up using a lot more than the computer that the USB hard disk is plugged into.

The problem is that the USB hard drive is used to hold all my music, pics, etc and means that I have to leave the computer on permanently if I want to access all that from the laptop. Not particularly good from a power consumption perspective or arguably even from a longevity one. I could obviously copy everything from the USB disc to the laptop but that's just doubling it all up and means that I get sync issues when I use different computers.

So, is there such a thing as a disc enclosure with built in NAS functionality so I can just plug in the hard drive I currently have in the USB disc so that it doesn't have to be physically plugged into a computer? What I'm really trying to avoid is ending up with the hard disc I bought being surplus.

Or should I just buy a complete NAS and ebay the hard disk?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Google "NAS enclosure", a complete NAS is just as nas enclosure with a hard disk in it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GK8LVE/ref=asc_df_B000GK8LVE959867?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000GK8LVE

Dozens of them on amazon.co.uk

HTTP404
    Free Member

You can buy a bare NAS enclosure and remove the hard drive from your USB drive.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member
    vinnyeh

Clubber, I've got one of those (I'm guessing it's the Addonics one, probably rebranded- looks the same)- they're ok, just plug into your router, setup is straightforward, but I had several issues.
    Firstly mine only supported FAT32, not ntfs. Bought it about a year ago, so I'm guessing things have moved on, but it's worth confirming ntfs support.
    It also crashed regularly, requiring rebooting maybe 2-3 times a week.
    Transfer speeds aren't earthshattering- I couldn't stream movies reliably, and hd stuff was a definite no-go.

Don't use it anymore- it's not really a replacement for a proper nas setup, but costs bugger all to buy so may be worth buying to give it a go- it may work for you.

Google Addonics nas for reviews etc.

Stoner
    Free Member

I use an ICYBOX NAS. Works OK although read speeds arent great over the network cable.

Maybe they have a faster one now as mine is a few years old.

uplink
    Free Member

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149510

Includes free 500GB HDD

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘NAS hard disk enclosure/case – is there such a thing?’ is closed to new replies.