Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • NAS – DIY or ready-made enclosure?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

My Linksys one is basically shit and doesn’t work. I’ve got a 500Gb drive and a 750Gb drive which I have tried to insert into the thing but the admin console just won’t work to let me reconfigure it. Does’t appear to be easy to reconfigure either.

You can buy an enclosure with software for £50, but I could in theory use a Raspberry Pi or similar, couldn’t I?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

A Pi would work but I think you’d need to buy USB enclosures for your drives so you could connect them to the Pi (might need to be powered also). Add the cost of the Pi and it’ll probably cost more than £50.

But essentially it would work – use something like OpenElec which uses Samba for file sharing.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course I could just use the PC I pulled the drive out of. But it’s going to consume too much power I’d imagine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CraigW
    Free Member

Yes, you could use a Pi as a NAS. It shouldn’t be too hard to setup, I think there are a few distros designed for this.
    Though it would probably be a bit slow. You would have to use a USB hard drive, and it only has 100Mb ethernet. It seems the ethernet shares bandwidth with USB, which would slow things down.

I’d look for a decent NAS with SATA hard drives, and Gigabit ethernet. Though that would probably be more expensive.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes I am going for maximum cheapness. This is only for background backups. Speed is not an issue.

inverjoe
    Free Member

Im using a cheap HDD enclosure from ebay with a 2TB drive plugged into my router via usb 3… seems to work well enough to stream films and music to multiple devices at once…

molgrips
    Free Member

Got a link?

nickjb
    Free Member

You can buy a basic NAS like a mybooklive for £50 or so including a 1tb drive. Won’t be as flexible as as a posh nas but will do the basics and it’s very cheap and easy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘NAS – DIY or ready-made enclosure?’ is closed to new replies.