• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • NAS advice/suggestions?
  • CHB

I am thinking of getting a network drive to store my stuff on.
    Main must haves:
    automatic redundant drives in case of failure.
    Configurable drive space for user by user access.
    Remote access would be nice, on a separate partition/folder for security.

Are there drives out there with apps that will replace my dependance on dropbox??

Not particular budget but £150-300 with space to expand above 2tb as needed.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

[sorry, posted in bike forum…doh!]

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I use a Synology DS414 with 3 x 2TB disks in a RAID array. It does everything you listed including remote access. Bit more than you want to pay but the DS414J comes in a bit cheaper and does the same stuff just a little bit slower.

Easy set up as long as you take your time over setting up permissions. Each user can have their own local cloud on the server so everything is backed up automatically and accessible remotely on other devices if required.

nickharv

I’ve had no problems with my Synology DiskStation DS211j, a fairly basic two bay NAS. The equivalent now is the DS215j which meets all your requirements. Sinology did have some bad press last year when the DiskStation OS was hacked, but it was a non issue if you’d kept the OS updated.

ratadog

Agree, 2 disk synology diskstation has worked well for me. Slightly idiosyncratic to set up but other than that, no issues.

honourablegeorge

I have an Iomega one… some of the firmware is a pain in the hole, but just mapping to it from Android or Windoes and dragging and dropping files has been very reliable for years, RAID as per the above

QNAP supposed to be good too

CHB

A quick shufty shows that some of them have network security camera features too….nifty!
    The DS215j with either WD RED or WD Green 3TB HDD looks like a good bet so far. The RED are NAS rated, but the Green are energy efficient, cost less and as the use will not be crazy intensive surely they will be ok?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘NAS advice/suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.