Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Narrow/wide rings, mud, grinding?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

So first truly filthy ride yesterday since I went 1×11 on my Rocket.

Back end worked fine, however the ring (Hope Retainer) was making the most godawful racket when in the bottom 2 or 3 gears, which I guess is the poor chainline in combination with the close tolerance design of the ring. Post cleaning, it’s pretty obvious that I’ve taken a fair bit of metal off the outside face of the wide teeth.

It occurs to me, however, that I can offset the BB & chainset 2.5mm towards the NDS by taking the spacer out from behind the RH BB cup and sticking it on the other side. Anybody else tried this? I’m guessing it won’t make an enormous difference, but it might make some…?

daver27
    Free Member

Do it. if its wearing out the outside edge of the ring, you’re chainline is way out. remember, the “1 spacer behind the driveside cup” is to optimise the chainline for use with multiple chainrings. if you have clearance between chainstay and the ring, go for it.

unovolo
    Free Member

Yep done it on mine to get a better chainline much quieter in the biggest rings at the back after doing and cannot feel any difference pedaling with the altered/offset Q-factor.

nickdavies

It’s always noisy in the mud, even if you tweak the chain line. Not sure which was louder in Sunday’s gloop, my drivetrain or freehub… The nw will lose its finish in weeks.

If it’s Sram 11 remember the jockey wheels are also nw which helps with the racket. I wouldn’t faff with the chain line, it should be around centre of the cassette which is where you spend most of the time, and it’s unlikely to make it much quieter.

smatkins1
    Free Member

A friend and I were discussing this yesterday while grinding up a hill with our 1×11 and 1×10 drivetrains.

I’ll check my chain line otherwise this will be an expensive winter!

benpinnick

Yeah we often do it. Even worse if you have converted a 2x chainset! Im running a Middleburn Mono ring at the mo for testing, and one of the nice things is its a lot less grindy!

paladin

Both my bikes I’ve swapped spacers around so that the chainring is aligned with 5/6 on the cassette

dannyh
    Free Member

The main down side to swapping bb spacers around is that you might find yourself heel scuffing the right chainstay way more after doing it. You could offset this by shifting cleat position out a bit if you run SPDs, but this is chasing problems around to potentially make pedaling less comfortable.

The better option is to use chainring spacing washers to move the ring relative to the spider, rather than the whole lot. I used 2 x 0.6mm spacing washers on each bolt and it has made a lot of difference to chainring wear. I guess you could use more if necessary.

daveh
    Free Member

My thoughts were the same as dannyh. I’ve spaced my chainring over 2mm, half way ish between the previous (double) chain rings.

fibre
    Free Member

I’ve done the same as above with some ID ones…

http://www.ison-distribution.com/english/product.php?part=CRIDSD06

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Narrow/wide rings, mud, grinding?’ is closed to new replies.