Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • narrow/wide chain rings. Any benefits for single speed?
  • guitarhero
    Free Member

Or unnecessary?
    Race Face blurb states, ideal for 9/10/11 speed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

is there enough slack in your chain for it to jump off?

Then yes, if there isn’t (as a singlespeed should be) then no

guitarhero
    Free Member

That’s what I thought

akasteve
    Free Member

Just want to resurrect this thread for a bit of clarification.
    I’m thinking of SS my 16″ Inbred. It doesn’t have a slot dropout it is the geared variety.
    SS tensioners look crap so does anybody know if I can get my chain tight enough for it not to come off without a tensioner or know if a N/W chainring would also allow me to not use a tensioner.
    The way I see it( but could be wrong) a clutch mechs main use is to stop the mech moving forward, similarly, in the same way a single speed cassette doesn’t move forward.
    What other option is there to a tensioner? Half links? If I’ve got to have something hanging off the back end it may as well keep the mech and stay geared.

AlexSimon

I’m sure someone posted a tool somewhere which allows you to select a perfect chainring/sprocket combo for each chainstay length.

tomhoward

You may be able to get the chain tight enough in a stand, but it will stretch so will become really loose quite quickly and you won’t be able to tighten it.

I reckon for the cost of a nw ring, a few links and the time taken to fit it and bugger about with the chain tightening it to ‘not quite tight enough’, you could buy a sh inbred with horizontal dropouts….

akasteve
    Free Member

Yeah I was thinking the same about a slot dropout Inbred. Was trying to avoid buying the same frame three times( I had a 18″ Inbred before).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘narrow/wide chain rings. Any benefits for single speed?’ is closed to new replies.