• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by m0rk.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Narrowest tyres on i45 'plus' rim
  • m0rk
    Free Member

I’ve got a new 650b+ bike coming in the week – can’t wait.

But I’m wondering if I can fit something narrow like a 2.4″ tyre for when I want a slightly less wide ride?

What’s the narrowest the hive mind would go for on a 45mm internal rim, without killing kittens?

Sam

Sure, I use a 2.4 Racing Ralph on 45mm Dually in the back of my Swift and it’s great.

m0rk
    Free Member

Thanks Sam – much appreciated!

addy6402

Nobby Nic 2.35 on a WTB scraper for clearance on the rear, no problems – a nice profile.

dovebiker

The wider tyre probably has less rolling resistance, but don’t let that stop you… 😉

singlespeedstu

You need to be more concerned about the height of the tyre than the width.

BadlyWiredDog

But I’m wondering if I can fit something narrow like a 2.4″ tyre for when I want a slightly less wide ride?

I’m curious as to why you’d want to downsize. I’ve been riding 650b+ for a few weeks now and it rolls pretty impressively – 2.8 NN front, 2.8 Trailblazer rear on Scrapers. I guess sticking something like a 2.35 Rock Razor on the rear might make it feel faster, but the only place I’d really want narrow would be in proper claggy mud.

I think, in which case I’d be tempted to just buy some spare wheels because changing tyres on Scrapers requires thumbs of steel and infinite patience ime…

Really liking 650+, brilliant mix of rollover, cushioning and grip, but quite pressure sensitive.

scotroutes

changing tyres on Scrapers requires thumbs of steel and infinite patience

Good point. It does seem slightly easier with the correct (50mm) rim tape fitted.

m0rk
    Free Member

If it’s *that* claggy I’ll just take the fat bike.

I might try a pair of 29er wheels in when it turns up and see what tyres will clear.

It’s just for options – I rode few 650B+ bikes last weekend and was taken by them (felt like riding with a tail wind compared to some bikes)

rOcKeTdOg

Got a 2.35 nobby nic on my 45mm dually, been fine for 4 months where it’s been to muddy for a chronicle to cope

m0rk
    Free Member

Slight change of tack here.

Picked up my Norco Torrent, came home and trial fitted my 29er wheels (wrong axle width of course) and am now waiting on delivery of some 29er rims laced to boost hubs

Bags (and I mean bags) of clearance in every direction…. Might not change from the 650B+ tyres though, they’re hillariously grippy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Narrowest tyres on i45 'plus' rim’ is closed to new replies.