Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Narrow/ wide required – Superstar Raptor?
  • davosaurusrex

Need a new narrow wide and think I might buy boost cranks to correct the chainline on my new frame while I’m at it. Been happy with the SS I/O I’ve been running but looking at the M7000 SLX cranks which are 96 bcd, these look to be discontinued in 30t. Read a few concerns about shallow teeth on the Raptors but can’t find any proper reviews. Anything else I should be looking at for a reasonable price? Can’t say I’m bothered about oval rings

alpineharry
    Free Member

Have you looked at uberbike? I’ve a 30t N/W ring on my xt m8000’s, had about 10 rides or so on it now and had no issues with it so far.

velocipede
    Free Member

Also have a look at RaceTi on eBay – £20 – I bought two a couple of weeks ago and they seem good 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davosaurusrex

Cheers fellas. Also a bump….

Northwind

I usually go with Works Components, they do first class stuff and only a little more expensive (if at all- my superstar ring didn’t last anthing like as long). And they were the first to release 3rd party narrow/wides so I think they deserve a bit of extra custom just for that.

RicB

Another vote for Works here – 2 years of use and still going strong although the anodising did wear off the teeth very quickly.

Superstar and longevity don’t usually go together ime

fudge9202
    Free Member

Would give my vote to works components, I’ve had 4 of them on various bikes in oval flavour. But on my new Habit I splashed out on a blackspire snaggletooth

nairnster
    Free Member

My Superstar rings were pretty good. Lasted longer than a Raceface narrow wide thats for sure.

Now running a Blackspire which seems very good.

stevextc
    Free Member

Just from short experience the kid runs a superstar with superlight chain and I run an absolute back with a heavier chain…

Read a few concerns about shallow teeth on the Raptors but can’t find any proper reviews

After a years riding the kid was getting chain drops and I suspected I’d need to change the chainring and chain was a no brainer (should have been changed already) .. however I changed the chain last weekend and the chain now sticks to the NW like glue …

So my impression is the teeth are a bit smaller but work perfectly well with a good un-stretched chain and have outlasted a superlight chain… (with a 25-30kg kid)

At the price of the superstar you can afford to change them more often.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As above – works components are ace.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Narrow/ wide required – Superstar Raptor?’ is closed to new replies.