Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • narrow wide chainring question …
  • neil853
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted one of the above, moving from a std chainring and a chain device. Since fitting the narrow wide there’s a clicking, like the chain is kind of catching/sticking to the chainring when under load. Has anyone else had this? Maybe a chain line issue? Cant really do much about that though as its a wolftooth components that’s shaped to replace the out ring….. Clicking is driving me mad though!

neil853
    Free Member

Should say, I’ve checked bb is tight, chainring bolts and cranks…..

Yetiman
    Free Member

I was running a Wolftooth 30t ring on XT cranks with no problems at all, nice and silent. What cranks and how old is the chain?

neil853
    Free Member

Xtr race cranks, chain is brand new

razorrazoo

Mine (Raceface) can get quite noisy when covered in the grit you get around Swinley in the wet (a well know drivechain killer) but silent in the dry. The tolerances with the teeth certainly make it more of a candidate for noise if not set up right.

stevied
    Free Member

Have you tried altering the chain engagement position? Might be worth moving the chain a tooth or two around the chainring to alter the mesh of chain/chainring

neil853
    Free Member

Like i say all I’ve changed is the chain ring. But under load there’s a definite click like the chain ring is holding on to the chain. I’m going to put the old chain ring on now and see if it makes the same noise, if it doesn’t I’ll have to get rid of the chainring and head back to a chain device. No big deal, would prefer to keep the narrow wide but the click would drive me insane

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Slight digression but can I ask, if I were to stick a narrow/wide chainring on my year old drivetrain would that work straight out? (generally speaking) Or am I more than likely gong to have to replace the chain and hence the cassette too?

neil853
    Free Member

Right, changed back the standard chain ring and the click is still there, damn it. It comes when the left hand pedal is put force upon. So its not the chain ring any way. Both bottom bracket cups are tight. Wonder if its now a crank issue.

SimonR

I’ve noticed that mine (SRAM narrow/wide) is very sensitive to the chain drying out – found that I’ve needed to be way more generous with the chain lube.

If I don’t do this, then I get symptoms very similar to the OP.

Northwind

anus – Member

Slight digression but can I ask, if I were to stick a narrow/wide chainring on my year old drivetrain would that work straight out? (generally speaking) Or am I more than likely gong to have to replace the chain and hence the cassette too?

I put a reasonably used chain on mine, worked out just fine- I’m not sure it’s any different to any other chainring in that respect.

(though, if you think it all the way through… If you fit a new chain and you find the old cassette causes problems, then everything was actually pretty shagged out already and so putting a new chainring on that lot probably doesn’t make a lot of sense, even if it works fine it’ll wear the new ring faster)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Chainring bolts?

neil853
    Free Member

Its just going to have to be a process of elimination, try changing bb then cranks, see what happens.

rOcKeTdOg

Have you tried fitting an additional but smaller ring & a derailleur?

😉

Speeder

Could be anything from the pedal up to the seat rails – that’s the problem with clicks & creaks.

boltonjon

I noticed a bit of clicking – well – more gnashing, when i first fitted a RaceFace F/T chain ring

It calmed down after 50 or so miles

I think its just the chain links interfering with the unusual tooth design – once the edges wear of, then the noise disappears

theflatboy
    Free Member

As above, clicks and creaks can be anything. My road bike had a worrying one for some time, I was convinced the frame was cracked somewhere. Someone else online reported that a similar mysterious noise was remedied by tightening the QR skewers. Tried that and bingo, no more noise.

You’ll find it eventually!

unovolo
    Free Member

It comes when the left hand pedal is put force upon.

Had a similar noise on a friends bike ,turned out to be knackered bearings in the pedal body(Wellgo V8 replicas)
    Stuck new pedals on as the old ones were not worth rebuilding.

iain1775
    Free Member

Slight diversion but OP what did the wolf tooth cost you in the end? Any taxes etc to pay?
    Have xtr race chainset as well and looking to get one imported

neil853
    Free Member

Think the ring itself cost about £55 then £18 taxes, good old royal mail was £8 of that….

teethgrinder

OP…kmc chain by any chance?

iain1775
    Free Member

Ouch!
    Might be off to US with work soon, I’ll try and get one delivered to my hotel/office

Jrrr
    Free Member

My bet is on a KMC chain aswell…

I have 3 KMC. Chains on rotation and the sound soon settled down, although stil noticeable, especially if it gets muddy

garage-dweller

I wonder if this is a non ramped/single ring issue.

Just fitted a new sram chain and XT cassette on my 1×9 and noticed that the chain is “flicking down” onto the upper chain ring teeth. It’s a salsa single ring not N/W.

Sound is similar to what op describes.

Think I might order a ring and try again just in case.

Northwind

I notice chain noise more on my narrow/wide but I suspect it’s because there’s much less other drivetrain noise- no chain device, better tension, etc. Clutch mech had the same effect.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘narrow wide chainring question …’ is closed to new replies.