Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Narrow Wide chainring advice required
  • keppoch

Current bike is 22-32 double with 11-34 cassette.

New bike will be XT 1×11 when it is available. But until then I need a make-do situation.

The options are either:

– retain the current double set up (but I will need to buy a new direct mount front derailleur that I won’t need in the long run); or
    – go 1×9

I think therefore I will go 1×9. I already have the 11-34 cassette so that is a fix but what chainring would people recommend 30T or 32T which end is it most annoying to be lacking at? I live in S. Wales and ride locally mainly.

According to Sheldon my existing double arrangement gives ratios of 1.3 to 5.9, a 30T would give 1.8-5.5 and a 32T would give 1.9-5.9. It seems that I am losing more at the bottom end so should probably go for the 30T.

Also which one should I get, cheap and functional favoured so I am thinking Superstar but it has odd looking threaded spacer tabs at the mountings, I am guessing this is to adjust the chainline and replace the chainring bolts? Any alternative recommendations appreciated.

scaled
    Free Member

32×36 sees me alright getting round in the peak district with 26″ wheels and i spin out on quite a bit in 32×12.

with a dose of mtfu you’d probably get away with 32×34

thestabiliser
    Free Member

30-34 here, might go 32 getting anywhere on the road to start a ride/get home can be tiresome and am rarely in the 34 TBH

Lakes btw so not dissimilar territory and am fairly (but not mega) fit

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

32T if yer fit, 30T if yer fat. Unless you like blasting down fireroads at 30mph, it’s better to have lower ratios than higher ratios imo.

30T rings often have spacers so the chain doesn’t rub against the crank tabs, no idea what the Superstar one is like.

sv

Use a secret granny ring for any bigger climbs?

keppoch

Yes I think I could leave the granny ring on an use a manual shift for a big hill.

Just looked at pictures again and not all have the threaded spacer so maybe just 30T.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve been curious about this recently. I think the 30t come spaced and threaded so the bolts and tabs don’t foul the chain. Anything bigger works in a conventional fashion. I’m thinking 30 for my experiement in the Peak district. I ride the bottom of my gears more than I do the top. 30/34 is still going to lose 2.5 gears off my current 22/34 which I do use.

nickdavies

If it’s a shimano double you need spacers to run 30 or 32 really, 34 fits 32 rubs the chain on the arms a smidge. Triples don’t have this issue.

Almost all 30’s I know of come spaced and/or threaded but not all 32’s so you may have to space yourself, you can pick spacers up from UK bike store.

I’d go for a 30 if you’re running a 34 cassette, or give a 32t oval a go, the absolute black cheap ones from CRC are pretty good and come spaced and threaded. I’ve moved up to a 34 which i’m really liking but that is with a 40t expander, not sure i’d love it as much with a 34 rear.

Just try your current outer up a few hills and see how you get on for ratios, if you’re missing a bit off the bottom then you could try a 30 front, if you feel you’re missing a lot then single on a 34 probably isn’t the best idea. You may also need a chainguide as you won’t have a clutch mech.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I might be missing something but you have a 32t chainring already. Just don’t shift into the granny for a bit and see how you get on. If you struggle on climbs, get a 30t.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Narrow Wide chainring advice required’ is closed to new replies.