Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • narrow rim-dhr2 wt
  • freeriding
    Free Member

anyone tried iw 21mm rims with dhrii 2.4 tyre?
    One told me that they work brilliantly, even better than wider rims, cause the narrow rim gives them a rounder profile (we all know that minion tyres have more of a square profile).

honourablegeorge

Burping and unstable sidewalls woud be a worry for me.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Logic would say that you will need to lean the bike over more to engage the side knobs, hence making them feel less grippy to some riders and more grippy to more aggressive riders?

kiwijohn

I’m running them on DT E1700’s which are 25mm internal. They work great except they are a shit front tyre.
    Much better on the back & DHF up front.

Northwind

freeriding – Member

One told me that they work brilliantly, even better than wider rims, cause the narrow rim gives them a rounder profile

Funny though, some people want their tyres to be more squared off for edge grip, others want rounded tyres for I guess consistency? I think it’s mostly a self-reinforcing thing. I always liked a really roun shouldered tyre on the motorbike so it didn’t tip, but on the pushbike with everything else going on and lowish pressures I can’t say I can really tell tbf. I mean, I had a 2.5 nevegal on a Stans Olympic.

I don’t think there’s any WT magic, I’d ignore the initials and just think of them as you would any other 2.4.

muttley109
    Free Member

From my understanding, wider rims were causing normal tyres to effectively become squared off. The WT tyres just repositioned the lugs to counter this and to keep a rounder profile.
    I’d imagine putting them on narrower rims will round the tyre profile even further meaning you have to lean further to get the shoulder lugs to grip.

chiefgrooveguru

The Minion is more of a round than square tyre anyway.

freeriding
    Free Member

minion is round????!!!

i have magic mary on the front and it is as round as earth goes.
    i have 2.3 dhr2 in the rear and flat earth fans rejoice…

crashrash

I have run the DHR2 on a WTB i23 at about 24psi (assuming pump is accurate!) and no burping or roll off probs. Though as I am an old git who fell off badly a couple of years back I am not as aggressive as most! Worked well for me living in Devon with mixed weather conditions!

Northwind

muttley109 – Member

From my understanding, wider rims were causing normal tyres to effectively become squared off.

One of the pinkbike pseudoscience articles that got a lot of attention at the start of the wide-rims-for-everyone thing made all sorts of arguments about wide being better, using a hans dampf for all of their testing. And it always seemed like what they were really saying was “Hans Dampfs are the wrong shape but if you put them on a wide rim they suck less”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘narrow rim-dhr2 wt’ is closed to new replies.